Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tranny temp gauge

after reading some of the posts about transmition temp gauges i thought it was about time that i got one for my truck (E4OD tranny). the truck has a hole cut in the blank by the OD button for a mechanical oil pressure gauge that was hooked up. Well now it is no longer there and i have a huge hole there. The oil pressure guage i used came from a set of 3 mounted in a bracket because it was the size i was looking for. what i want to know is if the water temp. guage from that set (being the same size as the hole thats cut in my dash) would be able to be used for a tranny temp gauge. the temp readings on the gauge are 100-250 like the tranny ones i was looking at, this gauge is a mechanical one with the metal probe on the end of it. can it be used as a transmition temperature gauge? thanks

well I guess i should have went out and checked first, the place where most have put there electrical gauge sending unit on the tranny is alot smaller than the water temp guage.

not going to promise anything but it could still work. my autometer sending units came with several adapters. the sending unit itself is the same size, but the different adapters slide around the sending unit to make it fit a bigger hole (no jokes please).

as for if it will work...look and see what your tranny temp should be (chris has mentioned it in previous posts). microwave some water to about that temp, measure with a baking or other thermometer then stick your sending unit in the mug and see what it reads

the only problem is, by looking at them, the probe on the end of the water temp guage is bigger than the bolt itself (in the tranny), unless the adapter you are talking about is for that.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Far as I know, you should be able to buy a new sender for that unit and put that on... The gauge itself is pretty much exactly the same. I don't, however, have experience with the mechanical type gauges so I'm not for sure on that.

Alright i'll see if i can find a different sender for it, BUT, what if i just used it for engine temp, cause I really just want to put something in the hole that works to get rid of the hole in my dash, where is the sender on a 302 for a engine temp guage, does anybody know or have a pic?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts