Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tranny issue

I have a knocking when in reverse. But i need to know if a two wheeled drive tranny off of a 302 will work with my 4x4 351? i think it might there both small blocks. But if not what do you guys think i should do?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
are the trans the same as example both a C-4?. if its a married unit.as far as the two wheel drive trans.it will not work with the 4x4 setup..you will need the adapter from the 4x4 trans & out put shaft from it so it will mate to the transfer case.{assuming its that style & not a divorced transfer case}but to install the output shaft,the trans will more than likely have to be disassembled.this is the case on the C-6.if it was me & i just went through this nightmare on my 79.either look for a used 4x4 trans or rebuild the 4x4 trans & forget the 2wd trans. in my case i only had a 2wd C-6 trans to work with & a gutted 4x4 C-6 case...told my rebuilder i needed the 4x4 trans for my 79 F250 4x4 with a 460 & i installed the unit.but during the rebuild they installed the wrong out put shaft.turned out the trans had to come back out of the vehicle & corrected... i was highly pissed to say the least.but they did back up their work & they pulled it back out made the corrections & reinstalled not me....lol

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

to clarify married & divorced transfercases... a married transfer case is bolted & driven off the rear of the trans from its output shaft...a divorced case is a independant case driven by a drive shaft off the rear of the trans.i have pics in my gallery of a married type unit from my rig.hope this helps...now that i though about it you have the married case...the divorced units were done away with in the mid 70's....Bob

Last edited:
There divorced. Its just one big head ache. im going to look for a rebuilt one. But i need a new rear also. Just turning into a whole project. But thanks for letting me know. :wavey:

BuzzGun79

since you say that they are divorced...is the 2wd trans the same model? as the 4x4 trans.....identify it by the trans pan & compare.also measure the length & compare.also check wear the trans mount is located..if its in the same location....you may get away with cutting down a drive shaft for it. get one that has the slip in yoke into the rear of the trans & have it cut down to size.most of the divorced rigs ive encounterd have had the manual trans so i cannot recall how the automatics were setup...check it out its worth a look anyhow...maybe someone else will chime in.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
well hold on.. before ya start swapping out transmissions and etc.

have you looked into why it's knocking? could be as simple as a U-joint and your hearing it at low speeds like when in reverse...

I do need new u joints. But it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. what could that be. im a newbie when it comes to motor work and trannys. im more of a body work guy. but i wanna get into motor and tranny work. so help me out man. please haha

BuzzGun79

a couple things i would check......vaccum modulator...pull off the vacum hose..any signs of fluid indicate a bad modulator. does it slip then bang into gear? this is an indication of either a front band adjustment or the band needs replaced. in the C SERIES C-4-C-6 the band is replaceable without removing the unit by droping the pan & valve body.to adjust the front band loosen the locknut on drivers side...snug the adjustment screw not to tight just snug...then back it off 1 1/4 turns & snug the locknut.if it does not shift back it off in 1/4 turns increments till it does.

BuzzGun79

first of all check the fluid for level & color if its brown & smells burnt chances are the band is shot but do this first...adjust the front band as i mentioned above & check modulator for fluid before you do anything else.....let me know of your results...to me it sounds like this trans can be saved without it coming out of the vehicle.....is it a C series trans? i need to know what it is....Bob

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts