Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trade offer: 01 Lexus is300

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Got an offer on the truck today...

2001 Lexus IS300 or $5800 Cash... He is supposed to send me pics of the car and the details. I am thinking take the cash and build the Ex for myself.... Or trade for the car and give it to the wife, and still build the Ex for me... Or...Oh what the hell I just want to build the Ex for me, no matter what it takes. LOL

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I've got an 08 IS and I love it. How many miles? My cousin has a 03 I believe and it's @100k and is going strong. Chris's mom had a 2000 GS and his sister is now driving it. It's currently got about 250k on it and it's still solid. No major repairs on my cousin's or SIL's car. If it were an 06, I'd say pass but the one you're offered is a different gen so you're good to go. Great mileage too.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
We will see, I am waiting on an email back from the guy...

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Got an offer on the truck today...

2001 Lexus IS300 or $5800 Cash... He is supposed to send me pics of the car and the details. I am thinking take the cash and build the Ex for myself.... Or trade for the car and give it to the wife, and still build the Ex for me... Or...Oh what the hell I just want to build the Ex for me, no matter what it takes. LOL

I'd want to know more about the Lexus- miles, service records, etc. They're extremely reliable, but $5800 is way low for a used one (even a 10 yr old used one) unless it's got a crapload of miles on it, is rough, or has some other flaws. FYI- the backseat in those cars is tiny. Anything larger than a 3-4th grader is going to be moaning about the lack of legroom.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I'd want to know more about the Lexus- miles, service records, etc. They're extremely reliable, but $5800 is way low for a used one (even a 10 yr old used one) unless it's got a crapload of miles on it, is rough, or has some other flaws. FYI- the backseat in those cars is tiny. Anything larger than a 3-4th grader is going to be moaning about the lack of legroom.

No he is offering me the car for my truck OR $5800 for the truck. I am leaning toward the cash as I am ready to go HOG WILD on the Expedition! Already started on the interior mods and have a list of things I need to do to it and the cash would go a long way, but the wife is kind of hinting at me KEEPING the truck...IDK we shall see.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I know this is a Ford site, but Doc, you might want to go look at Ern's JD Power post in the general tab.

My neighboor is the service director for the local Lexus dealership, timing belt every 100k and just minimal book maintenance items, you should see 250k miles out of it easily.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I know this is a Ford site, but Doc, you might want to go look at Ern's JD Power post in the general tab.

My neighboor is the service director for the local Lexus dealership, timing belt every 100k and just minimal book maintenance items, you should see 250k miles out of it easily.

smilieIagree Boring, but bombproof. They also switched to chains instead of belts a few years ago, so even that isn't a worry.

When something does go wrong, though, and you insist on using a Lexus dealer, it's gonna cost you. SIL's LS430 went about 160,000 trouble-free miles until the Climate Control went out. Dealer quoted them about $6K for the fix, and they wound up trading it on a new LS460 two years ago. (They obviously operate at a different income level than I do).

But- they wouldn't dream of taking their car anywhere but Lexus of Bellevue, regardless of cost. BIL is the same way with his Mercedes. The flip side is, I can't think of better people to buy a car from. Maintenance expense just isn't a factor to them.

*Ironically, they also have a '97 Chebbie Suburban that I sold them new. Over 200K miles on it, and never had an issue outside of an alternator that BIL put on himself. Both kids are in classic soccer, and it involves quite a bit of travel with gear. And they have a dog. That's specifically why they keep the 'Burb, and won't trade it on a new one. The logic is, in about three years the youngest graduates from HS, and they won't need the truck at all after that. It looks (and drives) just about like a new one.

Last edited:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Well I haven't heard anything outta the guy. and the wife and I talked about it. IF he does end up wanting it, we are taking the cash, not the car.

Ford Truck Articles