Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tough cold weather starting!

Hey Gents. Hoping your Thanksgiving was great. Ours always is as mom goes all hog on Thanksgiving. I ate so much I nearly put myself in the hospital.

Anyhow, my 352 is a royal 8ltch an a 1/2 to start in the morning. I don't know if it's just it's nature? Or, I am flooding it? To much choke? Well, I guess that runs along the same line as flooding it. Maybe I'm not giving it enough gas? I don't know. But I do know I'm going to trash the starter if I don't figure something out. You know. maybe I just don't get the nature of the beast in the morning? I have just given up on it because I have near ran the battery down several times trying. But, when I do get it running, the choke has to stay ALL the way out until it warms up decent. I then push it in about 1/2 and punch the gas to lower the rpms. But. the old white horse has to be completely warmed up before you attempt to take it anywhere or it will NOT cooperate with you at all! I have been told to replace the coil. Does this sound reasonable? I haven't checked the points. Any suggestions on that setting?

I'm going to trash my starter guys and I don't want this to happen. I have been thinking on getting one of those heated oil dipsticks. You know, to keep the engine warm at night. What think? You know, it's not even cold yet! I can't imagine how it will start should the temps get down around zero or such. Well, right now? With no oil or water heater there is no way it would start in zero or sub-zero weather. No way. What think guys? Any suggestions that would make this old beast take to the cold crank a bit better?

The old Hoss has been getting me to school on the back roads. I'll get my license in the spring. But as for now, around here you can get nearly anywhere on the irrigation canal ditch banks and never touch a paved road. But if I don't come up with a way to get Brutus to start better, I'm going to be walking. Mom is gone with the car when I leave for school. It's about a mile to school. No big deal and of course I could ride the bus. But I have been spoiled to riding the old white horse. You know how it is :)

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Always appreciated. Always

DTM

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Try adjusting the choke cable to where the butterfly on the carb stays partially open..about 1/8" to 1/4" gap from fully closed..it needs to pull some air in so it does not choke out.

3-5 pumps on the accelerator before cranking it over should be sufficient to start the engine...if not the carb may be draining fuel back through the lines or in need of a rebuild..check all fitttings ,clamps,hoses, for tightness along with carb screws,and base,inspect fuel pump for leakage at the weep hole,along with tighness of fittings hoses,ect.inspect all vaccum lines for wear,cracks ect...

Keep the engine freshly tuned,plugs,wires,cap,rotor,points and condensor.plugs gap at .35 points gap between .017-.020 or 30 degrees using a dwell meter.set timing to specs....Hope this helps

Sounds like your losing "prime". Your fuel pump may be getting weak and letting the fuel run back to the tank. Before your first start, take the air filter off, open the throttle by hand and look, listen for a squirt of gass in the carb. If no squirt I would change the fuel pump.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts