Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

total electrical system failure... help?!?

1989 f150 2wd 5.8/351

forgot to tie down my battery, went out to play. battery overturned, shorted out. the whole shooting match died. had to tow it home. when it decides to cooperate it acts like its going to work all the lights come on, turn the key to start.... click
any suggestions?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
first i would be looking for smoked wiring throughout the vehicle & checking components & fuses before you hook up a new Battery...obviously the old one is gone.this COULD have caused a lot of damage to wiring harness & components on down the line.did you see or smell any burnt wiring at the time?

no offensive odours at the time, fuses are good, swapped out the solinoid, the dash comes to life consistantly now. however same thing; turn the key to start, I get starter click and thats it. on the upside I recharged the old battery, put it in the other truck and it works. checked the major wires, changed out the starter cable. still no good news.

I think I killed it

From the sounds of it, sounds like a half dead battery
or one or two bad battery connections to me.

While it's failing, put an analog voltmeter to it and find
out what's going on -for-sure- or swap parts until you
happen to clear the trouble up on yourself or run across
the actually problem by accident. Your choice. ;)

{edit}
{I see you already went with the "gambling method"}

Alvin in AZ

Ford Truck Articles