Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Time for the trans...(gulp)

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
I'm working on the trans for the first time and would like some tips that would help here. It's a 1994 AODE/4R70W. I'm replacing the tailpiece (cracked), gasket, seal, front yoke, front half of driveshaft, and center coupler. All except the seal and gasket came from the U-pull yard, but shows no sign of leakage, nor rough wear on the yoke. Thought about reusing the tailpiece gasket, as the shops are closed 'til Monday...but not sure of that. Any tips would be appreciated...especially how to make sure the driveshaft is balanced. Also, if anyone knows a site that would list the torgues for the bolts, I'd appreciate that, too. Thanks one and all.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I don't suggest reusing the gasket. Would suck to go through everything again for a 5 dollar gasket. Do it right the first time. I don't know about swapping shafts. I know your supposed to mark everything. But seems impossible when you put a new shaft. As for tq I don't have my book handy...

primetime

sawmill slave
Don`t reuse the gasket. If you have to go to the parts store and get a roll of gasket paper and make a new one.
As for the driveshaft, just make sure the ears are all in line and you should be alright.
I don`t have those torque specs handy, but as a general rule of thumb, I`ll torque 3/8 bolts to 30 0r 40 ft/lbs, and 1/2 bolts to 70 to 90 ft/lbs depending on the grade of the bolt.

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
The job's done...thanks to Dewey's transmission shop! I gathered the parts, gaskets, and seals-and paid $150 to have the tailpiece, slip yoke, and coupler joint mounted. Nice to be done with it, but would have liked to have had the skill to have done it myself.

Ford Truck Articles