Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Throwing a P0299

Waiting for the truck to cool off so I can check the CAC boots....I seem to be hearing a lot of "woosh" on shut down. Sounds like it's coming from beneath the air cleaner box.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Waiting for the truck to cool off so I can check the CAC boots....I seem to be hearing a lot of "woosh" on shut down. Sounds like it's coming from beneath the air cleaner box.
You're probably on the right track. Smoke machine is handy for that sort of thing too.

Well, the plumbing looks to be OK. I get 0% EGR error as one of the few PIDs I can monitor with the scan tool I have. Looks like it's gonna go in to see the dealer.

Whaddya think Vince...sticky turbo vanes/unison ring?

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Well, the plumbing looks to be OK. I get 0% EGR error as one of the few PIDs I can monitor with the scan tool I have. Looks like it's gonna go in to see the dealer.

Whaddya think Vince...sticky turbo vanes/unison ring?
Good possibility.

I am getting that whoosh occasionally also. I am interested in what you find. I really don't see any issues w/ the turbo by watching the boost gauge, but then it is only on shutdown (as you described).

blacksnapon

Staff member
I am getting that whoosh occasionally also. I am interested in what you find. I really don't see any issues w/ the turbo by watching the boost gauge, but then it is only on shutdown (as you described).
Whats happening, is on shutdown, the turbo is still spinning, but with no exhaust driving it. The pressure thats been developed is rushing by the vanes. With stuck or binding vanes, its magnified into the sound you hear. A slow vgt actuator can do the same thing.

The vanes were indeed sticking and the turbo was pretty well beat up, so it was replaced under warranty.

The tech asked me if I had an EGR cooler failure in the past, which I did.....said that was likely the cause of the damage.

Whats happening, is on shutdown, the turbo is still spinning, but with no exhaust driving it. The pressure thats been developed is rushing by the vanes. With stuck or binding vanes, its magnified into the sound you hear. A slow vgt actuator can do the same thing.

Thank you Vince.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The tech asked me if I had an EGR cooler failure in the past, which I did.....said that was likely the cause of the damage.
Stuff like this (the techs response) makes my job harder. Theres too many things that will cause turbo failures. Sounds like this tech is just not a fan of the egr cooler.

Ford Truck Articles