Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The old rotors are history!

Installed new front rotors on my 05 supercrew last night. No more shudder when braking. I have been very pleased with my truck except for the problem I had with the brakes.

At 20K took it in under warranty and they turned the rotors and told me they should be fine now, so I took it home and put Wagner Thermoquiet pads on. The rotors went to about 60K before the shudder returned.

I am going on vacation today, so last night I took the old rotors out and installed new ones from NAPA and the Wagner Themoquiet pads. The dealership said I would need to replace the spindle nuts, when I called to check on their price for rotors(291.00), the nuts were around 30 bucks at Ford and NAPA was 17.00. NAPA only had one so I got one from them and one from Ford. When I took them out of the package you could not tell them apart, the stamping and everything was identical. After everything was done I spent around 550.00 for parts, but now I feel safer and I hope these rotors will stand the test of time.

One thing that impresses me about these trucks is how beefy all the steering and brake components are when you get underneath them and start working on it. Hopefully, I won't have anymore brake issues and I can look forward to many miles of happy truckin.

Ford's rotors on the supercrewzers were a problem, both checking AND warping. Replacing them was a wise idea. I had taken a set in to be turned, and the tech said that he COULD turn them, but if it didn't fix it, I wouldn't know until they started to wear again - or if I put out the $$$ to have them magnafluxed.
Just went with new and was done.

if you have the 5.4 make sure you dont have that brake booster vaccum hose recal..

that recall is a ***** to do

This is the problem I was referring to in my thread

How hard were yours to take off? You said parts ran you $550... I'm thinking you only replaced the front rotors right?

Have not been on in too long. I only did the fronts. Just had to replace the front driver side last month because the bearing went bad. Got a new motorcraft and replaced it. The one from NAPA that I pulled off had very little wear and I used the pads that I replaced about a year ago, they also had minimal wear.

Charles, I see you have a sweet looking 79 supercab. Love mine I just need to get started working on it again. Rust, rust, rust. The rotors are not that hard to pull off you just have to get a metric socket to remove them, I forget what size.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
We go thro rear brakes every 30000 on r company trucks . For $500 I can rebuild whole front end of older truck . They better come down in $ on parts .

I been driving a 05 Crew F150 for work off and on . Been lucky with brakes . MPG is our big grip. Worse than 16 MPG

blacksnapon

Staff member
I exclusively use an on vehicle brake lathe. You get a much more true surface than with the off vehicle kind. Not many techs like using them though.

We go thro rear brakes every 30000 on r company trucks . For $500 I can rebuild whole front end of older truck . They better come down in $ on parts .

I been driving a 05 Crew F150 for work off and on . Been lucky with brakes . MPG is our big grip. Worse than 16 MPG

Hell I get 20-21 mpg on the highway with my 5.4 supercrew...

Charles, I see you have a sweet looking 79 supercab. Love mine I just need to get started working on it again. Rust, rust, rust. The rotors are not that hard to pull off you just have to get a metric socket to remove them, I forget what size.

Thanks for the compliment, bro. I am about to tackle those front rotors myself just as soon as it warms up to more than 35 degrees.... lol I ain't like you snowbirds, I dont like to not feel my fingers and have snot running down my face from being too damn cold ;)

Ok did the front rotors on the F150 - they were jacked up! If I was going over 35 or 40 and hit the brakes, I'd shake the whole damn thing apart. No problem - even the old rotors came off w/o much trouble. One thing wanted to ask though, is did y'all put the little spring wire thingies back on the new pads? I didn't... tooo much damn trouble. So with the spindle nuts, I spent around $300 for parts. Not too bad I guess. God, seems I have to spend more on this 05 than the 78!

Ran outta time to do the back brakes but eh will get to em tomorrow.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts