Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The Bronco's engine progression...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just felt like posting the progression of my Bronco's engine bay:

Started out with a bad 351M with zero compression in 2 cylinders and a busted piston skirt...ran that way for about a year:

Old_351M.jpg

I couldn't keep the 351M running anymore so I picked up this 93,000 original mile 400 that had been sitting in a field for about 3 months:

New_400.jpg

Did a little work on it before it went in, and it resided in the engine bay for about 9 months:

New_400_in.jpg

new_400_in2.jpg

Then all hell broke loose so I picked this up:

DSC04231.JPG

and had my heads redone to stock specs.

And the end result is this:

DSC04233.JPG

DSC04234.JPG

I still need to go back over it to re-clean it again, got some grease and junk on it during assembly. I'm also picking up a set of headers some time soon. And I've got to do some reorganizing, because it looks like a rats nest right now, but I just left it that way after I made sure it would run and drive and haven't had a chance to get back to it.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Looking good. I'm planning on some dress-up type stuff soon, as well as headers.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looking good. I'm planning on some dress-up type stuff soon, as well as headers.

Well it's not all just dress up stuff. Just about everyting in that engine bay is less than 6 months old, brand new or refurbed to new. Only thing not new in that thing is crank and pistons.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Well it's not all just dress up stuff. Just about everyting in that engine bay is less than 6 months old, brand new or refurbed to new. Only thing not new in that thing is crank and pistons.

There's that, too. :D I have a short list of stuff that's in need of replacement

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I have a super mega list of stuff that needs replacing.300's are not supposed to sound like mine does.In all reality,i'm really gritting my teeth on the condition of the block.

But your 400 is coming along nicely Ben!

Looks good Ben.

I hate starting projects like that because I always think " I can do this while I'm doing that".

Like ( I could paint the inside of the engine compartment)
And it ends up being close to a frame off. :headbang:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looks good Ben.

I hate starting projects like that because I always think " I can do this while I'm doing that".

Like ( I could paint the inside of the engine compartment)

Yeah...that's kinda how this went. Parts went bad about 6 months ago, then the thing started nickel and diming me to death. So I decided to rebuild/buy new and about $600 later in parts and head work, you get what you see. I was contemplating pulling the engine and doing the engine bay, luckily the cash just wasn't there for that, and I wanted to get that pig back on the road. As I've said before, the Bronco is a vehicle of function, not beauty.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^

smiliewhathesaid

Look'n good B!

Nice to see you get that thing going strong again. It's amazing what a little paint does for an engine in the looks department.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Looks good Ben

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
smiliewhathesaid

Look'n good B!

Nice to see you get that thing going strong again. It's amazing what a little paint does for an engine in the looks department.

Thanks Lee...and yeah, the paint definitely makes a huge difference. Besides a couple little SNAFU's yesterday, she's been running great. I had a kinked fuel line, that made me think the pump went out or vapor lock. And I also noticed some erratic 'hits'...but I realized I never fully set up my coil, and only one strand of wire was holding on to the post.

How well does the camshaft work?

So far so good. I think it will work alot better with headers...and proper gearing...but I can definitely tell the rig is more responsive and better acceleration. I haven't brought it passed 65mph yet...but it felt like it had an a$$ton more pull to it.

Looks good Ben

Nice find, especially since it's a dirrect replacement, looks good too. A little more power and trk.

Thanks guys...I appreciate it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts