Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The 4X4 Dentside I want to find

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Hey Guys,
I've mentioned before that last fall I sold my 95 GMC Jimmy 4X4. Well one reason is that what I really want is another Ford. I've looked around a lot and what I want, of course, is hard to find. Here is what I want:

A 73,74,or 75 (no smog check required in CA)
Short Bed flareside (or styleside if I find the PERFECT truck)
300 Inline 6
Manual Trans
A/C (even if it's dealer added)
Original as possible and NOT rusted out with holes everywhere.
Cheap, like me.:wasntme:

I'm not quite ready to buy one until later in the early summer, but I'm looking now to get an idea of what I might be up against. I don't mind something that may need basic stuff like brakes, tires, weatherstripping, etc., but I don't want a beater either.

What MPG does the 300 get?... any ideas or experience? I know it's a great workhorse engine, but I've only found one post that mentions 15mpg. I guess that's because of the weight of the truck with all the metal, but with the flareside short bed I would think one might get a little better?...

Thoughts? Thanks!
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds like you want a sporty yet stout truck. On carbed 300's, I don't think I've heard a few stories that get better than 16mpg's, but usually what I hear is between 14-16. Anyway, how cheap is cheap? I know of 2 off the top of my head under 3500 (not sure of drivetrain combo thought)...but tack on another 1000 to be shipped to you. Either way, one is a white SB, smoking good body, but has a 6" lift. The other is a black flareside, a little faded, and has a couple primer spots on the bed, but it's a really good truck.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Those sound like nice trucks Ben. I would think out there in CA you would be able to find some nice rust free metal. Flaresides are going to be little harder to find. One thing I'd start with is a good body and 4x4 and go from there. You can always change out the engine and/or tranny and add on AC if you need it.

dakonthemountain

Thanks guys.. Ben the white one sounds like fun, but as you said, the $1,000 to ship it would be prohibitive. Just too far away for me. cheap to me does mean under $3,500 by the way. More like $2,500-$3,000 actually. One will come along at the right time I'm sure..

Buck, you are right about the lack of rust, but they are already scarce out here and I just don't have the knowledge or time to change out the engine, etc. AC is one thing, but the entire engine, etc. is a bit over my head in terms of know how. Plus Burt would have to go on the street while the work was being done.....and that's not an option for any length of time now with the new garage for him. I know! You and Ben can BOTH fly out and we will play with the "new truck" when I get it!!YelloThumbUp

Dak

dakonthemountain

Now that I read it again Ben, the black one actually sounds better. I don't want an added lift on the one I end up with. I like a "mostly" stock look. A black one would be sexy!
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks guys.. Ben the white one sounds like fun, but as you said, the $1,000 to ship it would be prohibitive. Just too far away for me. cheap to me does mean under $3,500 by the way. More like $2,500-$3,000 actually. One will come along at the right time I'm sure..

Well I'll still keep an eye out. This is dentside country, and lots of them for sale all the time. If I find one where selling cost and shipping would be in your range, I'll let you know.

AC is one thing, but the entire engine, etc. is a bit over my head in terms of know how. Plus Burt would have to go on the street while the work was being done.....and that's not an option for any length of time now with the new garage for him. I know! You and Ben can BOTH fly out and we will play with the "new truck" when I get it!!YelloThumbUp

Dak

Trust me Dak...if I can swap an engine in and out in a weekend, I think anyone can. The hardest part for me was trying to find a cherry picker and engine stand I could borrow. But I definitely know how you feel about keeping Burt out of the elements. And I also know you're like me when it comes to numbers matching...the more that match, the better.

Now that I read it again Ben, the black one actually sounds better. I don't want an added lift on the one I end up with. I like a "mostly" stock look. A black one would be sexy!
Dak

Yeah and the white one isn't a flareside, just a short bed. I'll see if I can't get the exact addy of the black one and you can check it out via google earth...hahaha.

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
What MPG does the 300 get?... any ideas or experience? I know it's a great workhorse engine, but I've only found one post that mentions 15mpg. I guess that's because of the weight of the truck with all the metal, but with the flareside short bed I would think one might get a little better?...

Thoughts? Thanks!
Dak

You could look for a newer 300 with the fuel injection. Also, some aftermaket upgrades will increase your mileage. Improving the efficiency of your engine with things like a better intake and exaust will make the power and gas mileage go up.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts