Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Takes forever to warm up 300-6

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
My 302 F150 I can start and drive mile up road and have some heat But it takes a good 10 + miles of driving before truck even blows warm air .It ran for 15 minutes easy this morn while putting garbage out and cold air .
Changed thermostate, bled system All tricks I use/ tried on 302 . Checked for flow to at heater also . Once warm it will roast you out.

Is there a air pocket I missed in the 300-6 engines ?

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Had a friend that had the same problem we never did find out why it took forever to warm up.
We ended up cutting a dowel rod that would depress the gas pedal down. Wedged it from the seat to the pedal then it would warm up with the extra rpms. the Idle was fine just a cold natured beast at first.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
What is the ambient temperature?

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
They drained the radiator lately? Those air pockets can literally take hours to get rid of. Start-run-stop-squeeze hoses. Rinse and repeat. Did it a half dozen times on the Marquis, and still had to do it again the next day. Didn't get decent heat until I did though.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I started the 94 w 302 same time and snow was melting were the 300-6 was still cold.

I need to ad this is at low rpms . the guage wont move till going down road

yep system drained whole way .
My DAd had 89 new that did same thing .

I checked flow running to and from heater as well as . threw pump with water hose. Hoses don't warm up till gauge does .

I'm going to pull hoes and fill everything with clamps loose and work my way up.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That sounds like all the sounds of air in the system.

When it's cold, I pop the radiator cap and pour it slowly into there when it's running. It sucks in the fluid and tends to dump air.

Ryan

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
That sounds like all the sounds of air in the system.

When it's cold, I pop the radiator cap and pour it slowly into there when it's running. It sucks in the fluid and tends to dump air.

Ryan
Thats how I do it . Yep going to be 45+ this week good time to do it .

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts