Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tailight troubles.. 78 f250

My tailights work properly w/o the lights on, but at night when the lights are on, when i tap the brakes the passenger side light goes completely out.

funny thing is with the lights on, the pass side turn signal still works just fine, its the pass side brake light that is giving me probs. I dnt understand why the lights all work fine untill I have to turn the driving lights on. In the daytime, all is fine when my driving lights arent on.

I took the lens off the pass side the other day and the ground was intact.

thanks in advance,

Evan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The ground may be in tact, but have you taken a test light to the socket with the lights on???? 9 times out of 10...I've found with tailight problems on these rigs, it's the socket that's the issue...and for $7-10, it's cheap enough to replace just find out and save alot of trouble shooting. Next step would be taking a test light to the rear harness and see where power is going.

No, I have not taken a test light to it. As in socket, are you meaning the light socket or whatever where the light bulbs are put into? I didnt know they were troublesome on these rigs, I have had trouble before with my Cutlass with these, but as we all know, GM lighting sucks.

Also where are these to be bought? LMC or what?

Thank ya Ben

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yes, check the socket that the bulb fits into. Sockets can be had at OTHER reputable sources, such as Mac's Antique Auto Parts, National Parts Depot, Bronco Graveyard(I think), etc. Same problem for me was solved by replacing the socket.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
hmm interesting.i wired up my brake lights today under the dash ran a jumper between the two wires to test & both rear lights lit.hooked it up to my brakelight switch & the right rear wont lite.lol but the turn signals work.must be a fluke with these rigs.

Everything runs thru the turn signal switch on these Fords.

You must secure the tail-light socket first.
They can bleed power to the other circuit from corrosion

thanks guys

Ford Truck Articles