Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Swapping transmissions AOD to M5R2

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Ill be swapping my AOD out for a manual trans coming up soon. There is nothing wrong with my AOD, in fact i think its one of the better ones ive ever driven. However, for a "toy" truck, the auto just doesn't feel right. So, ive opted for a manual trans.

The 4 speed would be the classic thing to do, however I'm thinking I will be going 5 speed so I can continue to have my overdrive.

Right now I'm basically looking at getting the M5R2 (M5OD) Transmission from an 87-95 F-150, however Ive also considered a T-5 like a mustang has. The T-5 out of a chevy would have the shifter in the right place, and swapping a ford bellhousing onto it would make it fit i think. (anyone know for sure about that)

Ive tracked down a couple of both, just havn't pulled the trigger on anything yet.

Im assuming the 5 speed will be different length than the AOD, so ill end up needing a new driveline as well. Which sucks, because mine is a custom built one already. :)

Ideally, a whole donor truck would be the smart gamble, and there are a few out there that I've seen, just a little too far to go get so far. 2wd are hard to find around here. So I'm still searching for one of those.

Just curious, do the T5 and M5s shift much different? Would the T5 be a better gear banger than the M5?

I dont tow with the truck so Im not looking at moving into a ZF5 at this point. Unless i start grenading the smaller transmissions.

Also, when you put the clutch pedal and master cyl in, is the cab already drilled out for all of this? Seems like it would be, but Im just not sure.

The AOD has no electronics except the back up light, so how will swapping to a manual affect things like my idle speed, with the EFI, is there an idle adjustment or will it auto adjust by itself.

Enlighten me wise ones.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts