Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

supercamper bedside

Hi everyone, newbe here. I was just looking for some answers myself. I just bought a 1973 F-100 with a bed-side spare tire carrier. Also it has only one rear gas tank but has a (dummy) filler cap mounted forward of the well-well drivers side. Now the question I have is, why don't I have the extended wheel base? Is that only because the 250-350 had 16.5 tires? I'm really confused about this, but I do know the auto makers did some weird things back then. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi everyone, newbe here. I was just looking for some answers myself. I just bought a 1973 F-100 with a bed-side spare tire carrier. Also it has only one rear gas tank but has a (dummy) filler cap mounted forward of the well-well drivers side. Now the question I have is, why don't I have the extended wheel base? Is that only because the 250-350 had 16.5 tires? I'm really confused about this, but I do know the auto makers did some weird things back then. Thanks for your help in advance.

As I recall only F350's were SCS with 140" WB.

I have some 73 literature you can look at.

Hello!
mil1ion shared an album with you.

Password ...thebrat1
View Album,

http://s69.photobucket.com/user/mil...mation/1973 F-Series Decoder and Related Info

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Any chance you could post a pic...only the 350 super camper specials had the bedside tire carrier on the 140" wheelbase. Potentially someone extended the wb on your 100 and added the bed.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I agree with Ben that the Super Camper Special is an F350 with 140 wheelbase, but they're not as popular as the F100, F150, F250, and F350 with the standard 8ft box, probably that F100 was stretched a little to accommodate the Super Camper Special bed, or that might have been a special custom order for someone that needed that.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

I measured my bed, and it is a 8ft. bed inside. wheelbase is 144 inches. It sure looks longer though. The only badges left on it are the ones on rear quarter fender that says Custom. Just picked this truck up from someone that was about to scrap it. 390 motor and base model interior. I'm just trying to dig up as much info on it as I can. Thanks for the help.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Did some more research on my '73 F100, it has the 140 inch wb, spare tire carrier in front of wheel-well RH side, and the inside of the bed is basically smooth vertically from top to bottom on LH side(except for the wheel-well, of course). I've talked to a few guys that have owned and been around back in the day, and they have never seen such an animal as I have. That was really the reason I saved this truck from going to the crusher. Must have been a special order of some kind; Would there be any way to find out?

Did some more research on my '73 F100, it has the 140 inch wb, spare tire carrier in front of wheel-well RH side, and the inside of the bed is basically smooth vertically from top to bottom on LH side(except for the wheel-well, of course). I've talked to a few guys that have owned and been around back in the day, and they have never seen such an animal as I have. That was really the reason I saved this truck from going to the crusher. Must have been a special order of some kind; Would there be any way to find out?

I linked to a 8-10 page booklet I have that I thought you might never seen a few posts up.
You never acknowledged it.here's one page of it.
Check my gallery

Img0018.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm guessing the box was changes....what is the VIN from the frame?

I'll check that out. But seems like that would take some engineering on the part of the person changing it. Relocating the rear axle and possibly longer driveshaft. Plus, if they did, they did a mighty fine job of relocating spring hangers. I'm going to do some more digging for info. Thanks for the help.

Ford Truck Articles