Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering stabilizer

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Hey Guys,

Do any of you have one of these or something like it? My truck steers just fine, but like old Fords do, its' a little sloppy. Not bad, and all the components are "new or replaced" including the rag joint. Just wondered about this. I have seen them used in motorhomes with success but not heard much mentioned here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STEE...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Thanks!
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I have one on the Bronco...it's my opinion that if there is slop, then something is worn out or starting to wear, and a stabilizer is just a band aid...unless you're actually using it for it's intended purpose. Red, doesn't have one, and after 7 years since the first major rebuild, the steering is still perfectly tight with no wheel play while riding on 37" Boggers. I have dual stabilizers on Thunder, and Dad had them on since new...just makes steering such a huge rig a little less of a chore. So if it's to try and correct slop, I'd say try tracking down the culprit first, although a stabilizer is a quick cheap band aid. If it's to help prevent the lazy steering, then I say go for it...but I wouldn't rely on something from ebay, I'd swing into the nearest 4wd shop and pick up at the least a sky jacker unit.

dakonthemountain

Yeah...I have one on the Bronco...it's my opinion that if there is slop, then something is worn out or starting to wear, and a stabilizer is just a band aid...unless you're actually using it for it's intended purpose. Red, doesn't have one, and after 7 years since the first major rebuild, the steering is still perfectly tight with no wheel play while riding on 37" Boggers. I have dual stabilizers on Thunder, and Dad had them on since new...just makes steering such a huge rig a little less of a chore. So if it's to try and correct slop, I'd say try tracking down the culprit first, although a stabilizer is a quick cheap band aid. If it's to help prevent the lazy steering, then I say go for it...but I wouldn't rely on something from ebay, I'd swing into the nearest 4wd shop and pick up at the least a sky jacker unit.

Thanks Ben, Its' not so much sloppy as it is "lazy" as you say. good description. Like I said, the rag joint and pretty much all the other components are "new or replaced". I was just wondering. I wouldn't get that on on eBay, just using it as an example.
Dak

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
THese truck new didn't handle great, remember these trucks were made to be farm trucks.
Even if every thing is new or in great shape the steering will all ways be "lazy"
a Stabilizer will help allot form what some guys i've talked to with 4x4/4x2s have told me. it looks like a good price and I say good for it.

dakonthemountain

Thanks Chris. My "lazy" steering is no way near what that thread refers to.. I am just used to driving European imports on a daily basis I guess and expect my old Ford to at least try to equal up. Not a chance, I know. I'll just skip it. I've never actually had a problem.
Thanks again!
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You don't have to have 35" tires to get a Stabilizer.
I'm getting one after I install my new Column..

You're right, but the road wobble, steering difficulty, etc. become more pronounced and are amplified the bigger the tire.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
You're right, but the road wobble, steering difficulty, etc. become more pronounced and are amplified the bigger the tire.

Oh I know, but I'm just saying that these old trucks need a little help when it comes to handling, and a stabilizer helps allots.
If you every look at the classic truck mags all the builds they do have stabilizers and rear sway bars..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I just wanted to clarify, in short, that a steering stabilizer is a SHOCK absorber, not a slop absorber. It's only very useful if you've got jitters in your steering wheel. It will NOT fix sloppy steering as some people might think.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Right Chris...if you're referring to my posts...I know, I just don't know what words to use to describe the symptoms a stabilizer is used for...other than it stabilizes the front...haha. And sometimes (online especially) it's tricky to diagnose if there is a problem coming outta the wood work, or if it's really just what a stabilizer was intended for.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

I helped clear up some common misconceptions about steering stabilizers in this thread:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

I just wanted to clarify, in short, that a steering stabilizer is a SHOCK absorber, not a slop absorber. It's only very useful if you've got jitters in your steering wheel. It will NOT fix sloppy steering as some people might think.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid smilieIagree

Ben and Chris have this nailed down.

Dak, as Ben & Chris mentioned check all your components and make sure they are in proper working order. New parts can be bad out of the box. In addition, there may be worn components in the steering column, and/or the steering box may be out of adjustment or worn. Also you did not mention if you installed larger or wider tires. Also check that the tires are properly inflated. A tie rod truck steering system is not going to react like a rack-an-pinion import steering system. Steering system design, suspension design and wheels & tires effect how a vehicle handles.

dakonthemountain

"Dak, as Ben & Chris mentioned check all your components and make sure they are in proper working order. New parts can be bad out of the box. In addition, there may be worn components in the steering column, and/or the steering box may be out of adjustment or worn. Also you did not mention if you installed larger or wider tires. Also check that the tires are properly inflated. A tie rod truck steering system is not going to react like a rack-an-pinion import steering system. Steering system design, suspension design and wheels & tires effect how a vehicle handles."

Thanks for the input Blackhat620. Yup, all components, tire pressure, etc., are up to snuff. I am a maintenance junkie! I actually really don't have a problem and Burt steers straight and true down the road. I was just a bit curious. Thanks again!
Dak

speaking of sloppy steering, I can turn my wheel about 3 inches either way without it actually doing anything, do you think this could eventually lead to a problem? the rag joint looks fairly new.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There are any number of things that could cause that much slop...sounds like you need a good overhaul for it to be right. However, I've never known slop to be a problem...just annoying.

BTW...does anyone know how to tell if a steering stablizer has gone bad? I assume they have about the same life span as a shock...but how do you actually tell if it's blown/bad?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts