Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

steering issue?

Hello all. Can any of you knowledgeable folks tell me what this ring is, and what effect will be had by it just hanging out?

Thanks in advance

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
axle shaft seal...mine looked that that a while back.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Its actually just a dust seal. The grease seals are next to the differential. There are newer design seals available that stay in more effectively, but its quite an ordeal to install them. Until you need to replace ball joints, I wouldn't be concerned with them.

Its actually just a dust seal. The grease seals are next to the differential. There are newer design seals available that stay in more effectively, but its quite an ordeal to install them. Until you need to replace ball joints, I wouldn't be concerned with them.

Awesome, thank you. I was hoping I wouldn't hear "don't drive that until you fix it!" or something similar.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I should have been more clear...I had the rusted axle shafts on the 79 in mind when I posted :D
Those dust seals will keep a lot of crap out of the space between the axle shaft and housing.

I should have been more clear...I had the rusted axle shafts on the 79 in mind when I posted :D
Those dust seals will keep a lot of crap out of the space between the axle shaft and housing.

Is there some mystical way of getting it back where it belongs, or can I simply tap it in?

Never have been successful at trying to put them back in. Replacement is in your future.

well, as long as it isn't an imminent threat I'm ok with that. Thanks for the advice!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Mine ran like that for a year until I took it in to the dealer for something...then the service manager abused me about it and I got it fixed :D

Mine ran like that for a year until I took it in to the dealer for something...then the service manager abused me about it and I got it fixed :D

Good to know. I'd rather my wallet not be abused again by them anytime soon...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I like my dealer...been treated real well and they know the trucks...hell, my dealer sold me my tuner :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts