Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering box rebuild, worth it?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
^ ^ F150 Super Cab 4WD uses the same Ford Integral P/S gearbox as F250 4WD. ^ ^

For 78-79, whats the difference between a F150 and F250 4x4 Ford Integral PS box (if any)?
D9TZ3504B .. Ford Integral P/S Gearbox

Fits: 1976/79 F100/150 Regular Cab 4WD.
-------------------------------------------
D9TZ3504C .. Ford Integral P/S Gearbox.

Fits: 1978/79 F150 Super Cab 4WD / 1977 F250 4WD from serial number Y20,001 (not a High Boy) / 1978/79 F250 4WD.

Last edited:

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I will neither confirm nor deny...but I will say, they do have some advantageous features.

But really Lee...that's like saying if you converted drums to GM discs, or swapping in a saginaw or even a shaved 14 bolt, or used a 60 from under a GM for knuckle strength...that a GM is superior, purely hogwash, but those parts do work relatively well.

But I absolutely KNEW you were gonna nail me on that. That said...I've never seen a 'hiboy' owner claim their truck is a lowboy, but I have seen it the other way around:suspicious: smilietease smilieFordlogo

Well, at least you know that I was obligated to give you some grief!

.................but I have NEVER claimed my truck was a highboy, in fact I always have to correct the locals of it's vintage.:headbang:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Keep on fightin the good fight brother man. That's all that really matters...dentsides rule.

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
^ ^ F150 Super Cab 4WD uses the same Ford Integral P/S gearbox as F250 4WD. ^ ^

D9TZ3504B .. Ford Integral P/S Gearbox

Fits: 1976/79 F100/150 Regular Cab 4WD.
-------------------------------------------
D9TZ3504C .. Ford Integral P/S Gearbox.

Fits: 1978/79 F150 Super Cab 4WD / 1977 F250 4WD from serial number Y20,001 (not a High Boy) / 1978/79 F250 4WD.

Thanks a lot Bill... good stuff!

Did what with your steering?

Mine is a highboy, but I have converted it to use the 78/79 F250 4x4 steering gear.

Hey Bucks!

I have nearly the same truck as you, '77 F250 factory highboy 4x4 with a bored 351M, so I am extremely interested in what you did to get rid of the play in the steering.

Somewhere I missed where you mentioned which parts you switched out.

my serial # F26HRY26958, built at San Jose plant, I'm not sure what month.

Thanks for any and all info,

Victor in Mariposa, CA

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Bucks!

I have nearly the same truck as you, '77 F250 factory highboy 4x4 with a bored 351M, so I am extremely interested in what you did to get rid of the play in the steering.

Somewhere I missed where you mentioned which parts you switched out.

my serial # F26HRY26958, built at San Jose plant, I'm not sure what month.

Thanks for any and all info,

Victor in Mariposa, CA

That actually wouldn't be what's referred to as highboy...the cutoff/changeover is at Y20,000.

However, the first thing you need to do is determine where your play is coming from, could be anywhere from the steering column to the ball joints and anywhere in between. Lift the front end, have someone turn the wheel lock to lock, see where the play is.

That actually wouldn't be what's referred to as highboy...the cutoff/changeover is at Y20,000.

However, the first thing you need to do is determine where your play is coming from, could be anywhere from the steering column to the ball joints and anywhere in between. Lift the front end, have someone turn the wheel lock to lock, see where the play is.

Hi Ben,

Sounds very reasonable. I forgot to mention that my neighbor ( original owner) told me it was play in the steering box and that he'd already tightened the adjustment screw as tight as still felt okay.

I'm curious, he also told me that it was a factory high-rise, so how is that referred to? If at all..

Thanks

Ford Truck Articles