Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering box rebuild, worth it?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I while back I posted a thread on steering wheel play and at that time I had about 1/2" of steering play and after driving last summer and a little bit this spring, I think a bit more of play has developed. All my tie rods are tight and drag link is tight. When I move the steering wheel back and forth while looking at the steering box, there is some play before the pitman arm starts to move. Best guess it's around an inch or so of play. I haven't messed with the adjustment screw too much, but I've heard when you have to start messing with that, than there is something else going on in the box. Anyway, the box that I have still leaks a bit even after I've replaced all the seals so I'm thinking about sending it in to have rebuilt. One quote for rebuild was around $300 and the other was around $250 (if the box can be rebuilt). New rebuilt ones I know are around $350 or so and that does not include the core charge of about $150 and that's if the box I send for core is rebuildable and if not I'm out a core charge. Before I do anything, I came across another used one and I may try that one out and see if there is any difference, but what I'm getting at is, will a newly rebuild box be fairly tight and worth a rebuild? I know these trucks aren't like driving anything with a rack and pinion, but I'd like to have a bit more tightness when it comes to the steering.

I'm guessing you're talking about the "Ford Integral" power steering gear?

If so, it has no bearings in it. :/

If you really want it done right all-the-way, then buy a Red Head unit. :)

Any replacements/rebuilds/reseals etc will be the same as yours -if- the
"rebuild" doesn't include a line-boring-job and installation of bearings of
some sort. BTDT and it works pretty dangged good but still more slop in
it than a comparable steering gear that came with bearings in it to start
with. :/

Ford's "fix" for the lack of bearings is a steel ring that does an "ok job" for
a little while until the soft cast iron beats-out under the ~3/16" steel ring.

What they figured out was to make the seals thin enough to allow space
for the steel ring. Cool huh? ;)

My name ain't Ford in AZ ;)

I put a steering gear box in my 92 F150 4x4 and it was about $150 for the part with a $75 core deposit. I got it from Auto Zone and when I took the core back I got my deposit back. They didn't even look at it just gave me the deposit back. It tighten up my steering, but a week later the return line leaked all the power steering fluid out while driving it so you might want to grab a new line at the same time. Good luck with the repair.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's what I've been reading too, Buck. When you have to start adjusting the screw, it's time for a rebuild or new box. However, with that little bit of play, I'm not sure a rebuild or new box would be worth it at this point, but you will need to do it eventually. But I do think a new box would, in fact, tighten up your steering.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I just happened to look at my steering gear box and compared it to one that I recently found and on mine the adjusting screw looks like it's screwed all the way down while the other one I have doesn't even look like it's been touched. I think I'll just throw it on and see what happens.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I bought a rebuilt one about a year ago, since the old one was pretty sloppy. It did make a BIG difference initially, but after a year of driving(about 10,000 miles), the rebuilt unit is already starting to loosen up.

I did talk to Redhead Steering in Seattle(which Alvin mentioned) several times about either buying a new rebuilt or having them rebuild my old unit. The turnaround time on having them rebuild my old unit would have been about two weeks. At the time, I couldn't justify the extra money( about $200 more), but now I wished I would have ponied up and bought the Redhead.

A friend of mine has a '79 that he bought brand new and he got a Redhead unit installed about a year ago also. He has been VERY happy with his unit. After 1 year, he says there is no change in the steering.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I'll have to keep that in mind about the RedHead steering unit. I contacted them about rebuilding my gearbox and they quoted me $306 if the output shaft is good. I may just pony up and send them one of my gearboxes and see if it can be rebuilt and go from there.

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Buck I sure like your truck. We must think alot alike. Look at my photo gallery. I only wish I had your motor. Mine is a 1978 F-250 (swb) 4-speed/429.

Thanks, and yours looks awesome. Love the color.

I threw another steering gear on yesterday for the hell of it to see if there was a difference. When the gearbox is off, when you turn the input shaft there is virtually no play with the input shaft and the output shaft turning, but when under the load (hooked up), there is about that 1/2" or so play there. Exactly the same as my other one. I'm contributing that to just old technology and that's just the way it is. I did notice that there seems to be less wandering though while driving. So, now I'm wondering if having a box rebuilt would actually change anything. I'll have to talk with Red Head and see if they can. If that's just the way things are, then I'm going to wait and save that money for new trim.

This sounds like the place to post Ford steering problems. I have a 74 which had ram-type steering. Replaced it with 78 Bronco integral. Loose, loose steering. Not lash, just slow response in turning the wheel. I haven't heard of Redhead but I'm looking for someone who can rebuild or provide a rebuilt box with a lower ratio of turning, like 5:1. Either that or return to a complete replacement with ram steering. When I changed to the Bronco steering, internet was just starting to catch on.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I just happened to look at my steering gear box and compared it to one that I recently found and on mine the adjusting screw looks like it's screwed all the way down while the other one I have doesn't even look like it's been touched. I think I'll just throw it on and see what happens.
1977 F250 4WD. Uh...is this a High Boy?

If so and the gearbox is the original, you have BENDIX Power Assist P/S.

With Power Assist, the manual steering gearbox is used, as it has nothing to do with Power Assist P/S.

Power Assist: The pressure and return P/S hoses route from the pump to the control valve, two short P/S hoses route from the control valve to the ram cylinder.

No hoses connect to the steering gearbox.

Ford integral P/S will be found on 1977 F250 4WD's from serial number Y20,001 (not a High Boy) and 1978/79 F250 4WD's.

Power Assist P/S: 1973 F250 4WD and 1974 F250 4WD before serial number T80,001 use GARRISON Power Assist P/S.

1974 F250 4WD from serial number T80,001, 1975/76 F250 4WD & 1977 F250 4WD before serial number Y20,001 use BENDIX Power Assist P/S.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Alvin said, Ford integral P/S has no sector shaft bearings...the built in FLAW all these gearboxes have.

The sector shaft rides directly on the housing, and after a while begins to leak from this area (the sector shaft is what the Pitman Arm attaches to).

Since there are no parts available except seal kits, whatever you buy from a parts store is NOT a "rebuilt" gearbox, it's a RESEALED gearbox...and it won't be too long before the lil darlin' begins leaking again.

Red Head machines the case, installs the bearings that Ford left out...on purpose. Go to redheadsteeringgears.com and read all about it.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Buck...I've been meaning to talk to you about that too. I'm thinking that's the route I'm gonna go on Red. It just makes sense, smarter financially and an inherently better system.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
^^^Buck...I've been meaning to talk to you about that too. I'm thinking that's the route I'm gonna go on Red. It just makes sense, smarter financially and an inherently better system.

.............so are you saying that the lowboy's are superior?:wasntme: LOL

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again

Nah, Just more expensive to repair/replace and obsolete

For 78-79, whats the difference between a F150 and F250 4x4 Ford Integral PS box (if any)?

The F250s mount to the inside of the frame rail for a push pull design rather than a crossover.

That's why I did it.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Nah, Just more expensive to repair/replace and obsolete

Thank you for indirectly answering my question.smilietease

But seriously though, that was directed at Ben.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
For 78-79, whats the difference between a F150 and F250 4x4 Ford Integral PS box (if any)?

I think there is a difference in the number of mounting bolts, also. F-150 has three mounting bolts and the F-250 has 4 mounting bolts.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

I will neither confirm nor deny...but I will say, they do have some advantageous features.

But really Lee...that's like saying if you converted drums to GM discs, or swapping in a saginaw or even a shaved 14 bolt, or used a 60 from under a GM for knuckle strength...that a GM is superior, purely hogwash, but those parts do work relatively well.

But I absolutely KNEW you were gonna nail me on that. That said...I've never seen a 'hiboy' owner claim their truck is a lowboy, but I have seen it the other way around:suspicious: smilietease smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles