Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

starter eater.........

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
well my truck has coughed up yet another starter......i believe thats number 12 or something now in the past 3 years. this ones only a month old!!!! it now doesn't actuate the gear to turn the flywheel....i have bought all my starters from various parts places and companies with no luck....why cant i just add a crank to the front of the motor like the old 1912 fords???

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
heat shield is somewhat in place...being the exhaust broke off i took it off the exhaust and its just on the starter. i actually believe its a ground issue now....im going to be just adding a whole new ground wire to the system except that this one is going to go from the starter mount bolt to the battery ground directly

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
heat shield is somewhat in place...being the exhaust broke off i took it off the exhaust and its just on the starter. i actually believe its a ground issue now....im going to be just adding a whole new ground wire to the system except that this one is going to go from the starter mount bolt to the battery ground directly

I would just make sure your battery is grounded to the chassis well and run your ground to the chassis. The shorter your ground wire the better off you are. That is what i was always told anyway. My FIL's truck did the same thing. I put too many on there to count!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I get mine redone locally . I had no luck buying them . Even had a OEM ford go bad . They replaced but for $$$$ .

Good luck bud. How about I yank all of them off at u pull and send your way.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
dunno if this would help or not but id read on another site once (wasnt about trucks but guy had a similar problems).. somehow some battery cables that were too big for the car were put on (gauge wise).. but they were allowing too many amps or something like that to go to the starters and burning them out.. he didnt know when those wires were put on or if they had been on from factory.. but after he replaced them he stopped going through starters..

dunno if thats the problems with yalls or not.. like i said i just read about it online and thought it might help...

Ford Truck Articles