Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starter clicking

2003bmtf150

Locomotive Whisperer
My '03 4.2L just gave my bride that familiar clicking when the starter solenoid goes south. Went to the scene @ Wally World and was surprised to see the solenoid mounted on the starter! Or am I dreamin'? O'reilly says that is true and doesn't sell them seperate. Now the dream is a nightmare! Just when did this occur? Went back to work to finish my shift and am going back, to the rescue, after while. Still appears to be an easy fix, though, after being lightened up by $149.99. Goes to show how long it's been since I've had this problem. Feedback appreciated.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Be careful I am not sure about the 4.2 but my 5.4 has it on the firewall. Double check the pass firewall.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yeah they would be right, most vehicles now have the solenoid attached to the starter, so when 1 goes out the other gets replaced automatically, and its never cheap.

as far as when the change happened, just depends on the engine and company... idk when ford changed over on the 4.2's and the tritons.

2003bmtf150

Locomotive Whisperer
Jump started truck and got 'r' home. Moved discussion to Ford Certified Tech Help forum to diagnose it further. Follow along if you so choose. Thanks folks.

Ford Truck Articles