Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

sometimes bucks/jumps in first gear

300-6, M5OD

i'd say 5% of the time when i start in 1st gear, the whole truck wants to buck or jump. so much so that i assume you could visibly tell from the outside. if i put the clutch in (and shift to second), it stops. the other 95% of the time it's fine.

seems to happen the same when it's hot/cold. i'm not on the gas and harder or softer. if i try to accelerate through it and let it go in 1st, it seems like it will continue jumping.

cause?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My truck used to do that...driving across a parking lot or whatever, it'd sometimes start hopping. Only noticed it in first gear.

New fuel filter improved it, cleaning the MAF cured it.

I know your truck doesn't have a MAF, but maybe the fuel filter.

fuel filter is high on my list. i tried to replace it a couple months ago, but couldn't get it out. shortbed extended cab puts it right up against the side tank.

i can get the front line off, but i can't get the tool up to get the back on off, and there's no slack in the line to bring it out and down (if that makes sense)

other thoughts?

get one line off and pull the filter?

get one line off and pull the filter?
i think we're saying the same thing. i can get the front line off, but i can't get the tool in to get the back line off.

the back line has no "play" in it to move it out of the way of the gas tank/frame.

i'll get the filter changed, but does anyone have another idea, or do we agree on the filter? i'm fine with it if it is the filter, but i don't want to find out the transmission is going to explode or something dumb

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Stupid question...

Have you pulled codes?

Ryan

u cant get the tool onto the filter.. or cant get it to release the line?

really? i have a short bed.. and single tank, but mine was really easy.. right under where the bed meets the cab on the drivers side

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts