Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

somebody help me figure this out.

i have had an on going problem with my 300 inline 6 , it picks these odd times to just die and spit and sputter and carry on, carb, is fine , clean as a pin, new distributor, new coil, new plug wires, new ignition switch, new brain box, ive got this wire going from the ignition switch that runs all over the engine and if you reach down under dash and feel it, its red hot, i just changed the voltage regulator, go for a test run get about 5 miles and the alternator light flashes like crazy, and when you come to a dead stop it goes away until u take back off. but then again that wire is still hot . but i haven't drove it long enough to see if it will die , anybody got any ideas ? :headbang:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Have you had your alternator load tested??? didn't see that in the list of parts. Could be underpowered or just time for a new one...be even more amplified if there are corroded battery cables. Happen to check for any loose ground wires?

Get a voltometer and see how many volts its putting out at the battery with the engine running. anywhere from 13.8-14.4 is good with the engine at idle. If its reading something crazy, like 16 or 18 volts, You've got a ground problem or something is shorting out.

The wire wouldnt be getting hot if it wasnt shorting out or if your truck isnt grounded good. If the wire was getting that hot, it looks like it would blow a fuse.

should be a ground from battery to the engine block, ground from engine to firewall. I usually even run a ground from the battery to the inner fender as well.

If its not been grounded right and putting out crazy volts, the alternator will most likely be junk as well.

Take a multi-meter and check the voltage at the + terminal of the coil.

It shouldn't be more than 9V

I suspect you are running 12 volts directly to the ignition and are causing the coil to Boil Over with heat ,then fail.

In the wiring harness there is about a 61" length of resistance wire to lower the voltage.
What colour wire is getting red hot ?

Take some pics and show me what has been done with wiring.

No problem, I thought it might have been a ground problem. When grounds aren't right, crazy things happen.

No problem, I had a feeling that it may have been a ground problem, when grounds aren't right, crazy things happen.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts