Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Snow plow?

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Has anyone has any experience with a snow plows on our year trucks?? I will be getting heavy duty lift coils and new ball joints before I put the plow on. It will be a poly plow so its gonna be fairly light but my question is what about the crumple zone on the front of the frame am I gonna have to cut that out??

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
All I know is that once you start plowing, your truck will never be quite right again.

Ryan

plowing does a lot of wear and tear to your truck, both engine and frame.. if you plan to keep it, dont put a plow on it.. some of these trucks came set up for a plow, as mine is with quad shocks up front

if you're serious about plowing, it seems like it'd be worth buying an $800-$1000 truck to beat up.

but...didn't you pay like $500 for yours. it's up to you, but if you're serious about it, i'd buy a beater to beat

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
The reason i wanna put this plow on my truck is because I just got the offer of my life..... My partner in my company will be paying to put the plow on my truck and we have three $5,000 accounts and one $12,000 account!! ANNDDD I have a local snowplowing company that will pay me $65 bucks and HOUR!! So I really need to put a plow on my truck I have a good amount of experience with plowing and I would be taking it very easy, but I wish I had the money saved up to buy a 97ish 350!! And I am also gonna be pulling a 18ft enclosed trailer this summer for my lawn care business so my truck is defiantly gonna get tested!!

sounds like a perfect time to buy a $1500 rust-bucket, high-mileage, f250

EDIT: if you are dead-set on putting it on your truck, say so and I (and hopefully everyone else) will give up.
I hate when threads get hi-jacked with people not answering the question and trying to steer people in a different direction. If you understand the negative side effects, say so and I'll shut up and we can move on with how to get it on your truck.

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Put air bags in those front coils you will like it much better with the weight of the plow. Just watch the ball joints and the other front end parts it makes them wear a bit faster.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Quad shocks doesn't mean your truck is set up to plow snow.

You asked for experience with plows and these trucks, so here's mine:

Don't plow snow commercially with a half ton truck. Simply put, you'll wear it out very quickly. The front suspension and the frame are just not up to the task.

You need a 3/4 ton truck, or preferably a 1-ton truck with a solid front axle. Regardless of what truck you plow with, you also should have an aux tranny cooler and I would install a temp gauge as well so you can keep an eye on your tranny. You'll find it heats up pretty quick plowing snow.

Air bags are going to help the front out quite a bit as well.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
I know the truck is not designed for commercial plowing!! So lets just get that out of the way..... I don't know if you guys realize this but I will be making close to $10,000 this winter!! I have my mind dead set on putting this plow on my truck if it breaks, it beaks, whatever ill buy a new truck. So I would just like to know if anyone has ANY experience with putting a plow on these year trucks??

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
plowing does a lot of wear and tear to your truck, both engine and frame.. if you plan to keep it, dont put a plow on it.. some of these trucks came set up for a plow, as mine is with quad shocks up front

The shocks don't do anything for weight??

Michigan
Quad shocks is the full off road package. I agree with tomcat.

You got the truck dirt cheap, its a great truck, your going to be making the money if in need for repairs. Poly plow is a sissy light plow, which is good for these trucks (No offense), Buddy has a 91 with a huge boss plow and that thing handles that plow like a champ. No problems. Even with the 6 inch lift and 36's Single cab short box...

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ok heres what I got to say, You can plow with a 1/2 ton my boss has been plowing for like a million years, never burnt up a trans/broke anything. He would rather use a 3/4 or 1 ton. He does salt also so he has an in bed salter so he upgraded to a 3/4 ton. He has had a bunch of trucks. Ok now that I said that here is my opinion.

I have a F350 with Meyers 8" plow. Truck is the same today as it was when I got it. Yea I have put a new engine in (not plow related) and trans(not plow related) Ok if your going to put a plow on yes get bigger trans cooler, change trans fluid before plowing season no matter the milage. Dont PLOW IN DRIVE, use 2 and 1, as you have higher line pressure. Use 4X4 LOW unless snow is light. Let the engine do the work not the trans. If you have auto hubs, get manual, you will wreck them. When you put the plow on, box the crumple section. I dont know if you have plowed before but there is lots of stuff to take into mind when plowin.

Your plow, is it the Meyers Maxx Poly plow? If so thats heavier then the Meyers metal plows. Id assume its the same for Boss and Fisher ect.

POWERWASH OFF AFTER EVERY SALTING

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have Had plow since 84 . I had 35000 miles on one 89 bronco just plowing . Over 6 year span And its still on road . Hd coils is all I do . Most damage is done in transit on road Pot holes ,curbs the dumb guy in the VW... If you plow hard you break things, take time know area no problem . Secret is to plow often and not let build up.

I had 3 churches and 20 drives (here that can be a mile) I never broke anything on truck . Repack bearing Fall spring , Keep fluids changed , ETc .Yes there is more wear on u jionts and drive line but I run in 4x4 to work many mornings just driving.

The only reason I have a 3/4 ton now is $1000 with 8 1/2 Myers Commercial plow. But I have mount for My 94 behind garage right now.

sure the deal your offerend sounds great for the money.. a guy i work with plows for the town of peabody, 15k a year.. to put it in perspective though, 8k of that goes for gas

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
sure the deal your offerend sounds great for the money.. a guy i work with plows for the town of peabody, 15k a year.. to put it in perspective though, 8k of that goes for gas

This man is right . I'd go through $20 just plowing My famillies drives.

Michigan
Incorrect. Part of the Handling Package.

The tow package included:
Trailer wiring harness, HD turn sig flasher, rear stab. bar (that will be a dead giveaway), quad front and HD rear shocks, HD battery, and super engine cooling (this is also a dead giveaway since this should include a larger capacity radiator, front mount tranny cooler and engine oil cooler.)
both 302 and 351 came with 4k bumpers standard (limited class III tow if I recall correctly), which is why they did not automatically come with bolt on hitches. 351 was max. tow of 7k, 302 was 6600, unless manual (could not get a manual 5.8), which was only 3k. GCWR 12k for 351, 11,500 for 302 auto, and a measly 7,800 for manual. 3.55 gearing axle ratio. guess the manual in these later years were not real heavy duty. I think the oil cooler became part of the tow package in 1994 or 95.

Handling package includes
Dual shocks, rear swaybar.

Last edited:
Michigan
Broncos came standard with a T case skid plate and rear gas tank skid plate. Any other model like the 150 with these parts was included in a "Full Off Road Package".

I say mine has the full off road package just because of those options. I guess my truck is set up pretty well with the Tow, Handling, and Off road packages.

Michigan
The shocks don't do anything for weight??

Justin running another shock makes the front end stiffer. Thats why when i ride in your truck and i say, "Your truck rides like a lincoln" as where my truck rides worse than my dads superduty with leafs.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts