Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Setting a motor in

Michigan
Anyone ever do that to one of these trucks? Wut the heck is up with the oblong holes for the motor mount bolts to bolt to. So with that being said how level does the motor have to sit? If you wanted to you could angle that thing like crazy.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have. The oblong holes are so the bolts will go in as you lower it down. I played with mine until it was good and level.

Michigan
ok, the motor looks pretty level as it is. Thanks tony

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
No problem. I guess that answers my question on when you will be getting the motor in. :D

blacksnapon

Staff member
The transmission mount centers it up.

Michigan
Yea its in there, trans is bolted to the motor, just gotta bolt the motor to the mounts on the frame. Shooting to get it almost 100 percent tomorrow after work. Getting up early before work and working on it.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Shooting to get it almost 100 percent tomorrow after work. Getting up early before work and working on it.

My advice - don't. It's not a race. I know you're anxious, but putting together the last few pieces of an engine replacement is something you're supposed to take SLOW. There are a ton of small details that are easy to overlook, and if you're in a hurry, you WILL forget one of them. The time spent chasing down that one detail is going to be a lot more than if you just took your time.

Promise. :)

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Liked the oil presure sender or the distributor unpluged(Guilty) just small stuff to make it go longer.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
HAHA you guys DEFIANTLY do not know mike, hes is the LAST person to rush this kinda stuff, from the 2 days I was over his house he was taking his sweet ass time lol smilietease ....but he was doing everything above and beyond what is needed and doing it RIGHT...trust me hes not rushing anything!! LOL

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Yea, I was talking to him about that yesterday. He knows how crucial it is to make sure everything is done right. Suprisingly smart for his young age (bahaha, that made me sound like I'm sooo much older).

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Yea, I was talking to him about that yesterday. He knows how crucial it is to make sure everything is done right. Suprisingly smart for his young age (bahaha, that made me sound like I'm sooo much older).

HAHA!! He is damn smart about this kinda stuff, he REALLY knows his crap and how to do it right!!

BUT hmmm if hes so smart why didnt he check the POND that he took his truck through knowing that that air intake sucks up water really EASY..... smilietease smilietease HAHA LAMO!!! jk jk

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
When're you going to fix those rusty shackles, smart guy? :rofl2:

HA you got me there....I am JUST like mike, i like to take my time and do things right A.K.A. I GOTTA GET OFF MY LAZY ASS!! LMAO:rofl:

Michigan
hahaha im rushin the biiiiiiitch lol jk. I dont have much left tho. Just gotta plop down some money for a new water pump and some oil...

Takin my time with this baby. Everything has to be 100 percent for me. But theres me second guessing myself and crap. I hate when that happens. So far im not to happy with the gasket kit that came with the motor. I dont like looking down where the injectors plug into and seeing about a 16th of gasket inside the hole...

Hey how do you set in the distributer? A little rusty on this subject because i have been dealing with Hemis and no fords.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Take your upper & lower intakes to a machine shop and have them cleaned. You will be STUNNED at how clean they come back to you if you've never had it done before.

Distributor:

Turn the motor over by hand until it's at TDC. (assuming you know how to do this). Put the distributor in so that the rotor is pointing to the #1 terminal. Snug the hold-down bolt, but don't tighten it completely. Have someone start the engine for you. If you're lucky, it will fire right up, then you set the timing. If it won't start, rotate the distributor back and forth while it's cranking until the motor catches, then set it with a timing light.

Michigan
Ok didnt know if the rotor needed to be pointing at the number one cylinder or terminal. Makes sense now. Hopefully we dont get any backfires i hate those lol.

Umm now the timing marks... Theres only one indent on the crank pully and i still have the pointer. How do i go about determining if its at 10 BTDC and so fourth?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Umm now the timing marks... Theres only one indent on the crank pully and i still have the pointer. How do i go about determining if its at 10 BTDC and so fourth?
The indent has nothing to do with timing. Look more closely at your harmonic balancer, there's actual numbers and marks that are etched into it, they can be hard to see.

You'll want to grab some white/yellow chalk or a colored pencil also works, and mark 10* BTC, then use the timing light and rotate the distributor until the mark lines up with the arrow attached to the block.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If this is the indent that you're talking about, the real marks should be pretty far away from it, almost 180* away if I'm not mistaken...

DSC00825small.jpg

After making your mark at 10*, you want it to line up with the arrow like this:

endingtiming.jpg

And no it's not going to be that close to the indent--- I just drew it in with paint for demonstration purposes.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts