Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Seeking Knowledge

Hello
I have been browsing the gen 6 forum and the more I read the more I grow curious about! I am currently working on securing my next project truck. I am looking at a supposed 1977 f250 I do believe it may be the 350 it supposedly has the 460 with a 4 speed in but the seller is unsure and I have not fully inspected the truck yet. the seller also believes that it is a full time four wheel drive. the previous owner before the seller was setting it up for pulling so it has torsion style bars on the rear end and a square case around the rear drive shaft u-joint. the seller is unsure of most of the mechanicals but he knows it tears stuff up and has never been stuck!!
I was wondering some things I should look for such as how to determine the transfer case and transmission model, motor size(incase not original), actual body style incase its a highboy, and gears. most of the details I can decipher with the vin code but incase the equipment is not stock I want to know some tell tail signs to look for during inspection.
I am just itching to know more about what to look for since I have been reading this forum. It has lead me to so many more questions in my head. Thanks for your help
Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
460 would not be original. The transfer case will have 5 positions if fulltime and 4 if partime. You can mark the driveshaft and wheel and come up with a close indication of the axle ratio.

Is there any way to determine what size motor is actually in there? basically how to tell the difference at a glance between the 427, 460, and 475 etc...? and how about transmission model? I know some of these are "dumb" questions but I am still a green horn so to speak :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No dumb questions when you dont know. The 429 and 460 will look the same...I think you might be thinking of the 428 as opposed to the 427 and there isnt a 475.
Some of the more knowledgeable guys will probably chime in with easy ways to differentiate...you might want to look in the manual subforum as there are good pictures in the shop manuals.

Thank you for your understanding and I noticed there were some knowledgeable folks on here and the manuals was were I began my quest for knowledge and that's what began all the confusion so to speak.:)

Like I had mentioned I have not inspected the vehicle full yet but I will be in the next week or less and will keep you updated do you have any other good pointers for transmission and transfer case type?

to identify the 4 spd tranny if its a borg-werner t-18 or t-19 you can atleast narrow down the company the produced it by looking at the main tranny case. the previous owner of my 79 f-250 said it was a np435(mfg by new process hence the np before the 435) but i had a clutch issue and had to adjust it and noticed it said borg werner on the side of the case. also if you look online and do a lil bit of digging im sure you can find ways to tell which trans your potential truck will have same as with engine charcteristics that would help you to determine which engine id actually in the truck. hope this helps you out a bit

hey guys thanks for all the great replies.it led me to doing some more research and I found this great site to help identify Ford specific parts. it gives you a break down of what identifying factors to look for it's a great site I recommend checking it out here is the link for it. http://fordification.com

I can do it here for you as well.

Oem
No 429 in fseries trucks
No 460 STD transmission until 1983.
1977 would be a 351m/400
Firing order stamped on intake
Is the intake manifold a wet or dry ? Note the T-stat housing.
The data plate would give the OEM transmision .
Transfer cases iirc,were of one type in 77.
The slang term highboy iirc,doesn't relate to 77's.76's by vin number.

Last edited:
Great thanks for the help Mil1ion I am figuring that most of the stuff on this truck is not standard. i will start a new thread once i have more details about the truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts