Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

RUST!!

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Well I hate to say it but even though the picture looks good my truck does have the common rust!! I REALLY love my truck and I think its worth putting the money into it (especially since I only paid $500 bucks) So hopefully I am gonna start ordering all new quarter panels, front fenders, core support, and some other odds and ends. But for now I have a BIGGER PROBLEM,.... BOTH of my rear leaf spring shackles let go (from rusting out) and the ONLY thing stopin them from punching through the bed is the bolt catching on the solid part of the shackle. So thats my project for this weekend. Now my question is, has anyone ever done um?? Any tricks, tips?? Thanks

well for one, you need to be able to lift the truck so the suspension drops, so jack it up from the pumpkin and put some jack stands on the FRAME.. be sure to have it up quite a bit, these suspensions drop quite a bit especially if you have bad shocks.

and two, make sure your leafs aret broken, look for cracks if none are swung out, it happens, trust me!

you most likely will need a buddy to help you. and do be careful, lots of tension ur playing with in those leafs. check the frame for damage/rot as well. if your frame is rotted than dont even bother cause the truck will be redy for the scrap yard

oh, and chock the front tires so the truck wont roll, even in park, u never know when that pawl can break.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Being in park ain't going to stop him if his rear tires are off the ground anyways.. lol.

Unless he's in 4WD? smilietease

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I used a bumper jack (lifting the bumper) to raise/lower the frame while leaving the tires setting on the ground. It wasn't too hard to find a "neutral" position.

Also- I'm told that it's common for the shackle mount (between the shackle and frame) to be rotten if the shackle is. Mine were fine, but you should take a good look at it before you order your parts.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Well I hate to say it but even though the picture looks good my truck does have the common rust!! I REALLY love my truck and I think its worth putting the money into it (especially since I only paid $500 bucks) So hopefully I am gonna start ordering all new quarter panels, front fenders, core support, and some other odds and ends. But for now I have a BIGGER PROBLEM,.... BOTH of my rear leaf spring shackles let go (from rusting out) and the ONLY thing stopin them from punching through the bed is the bolt catching on the solid part of the shackle. So thats my project for this weekend. Now my question is, has anyone ever done um?? Any tricks, tips?? Thanks

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yep its common problem . Once the factory paint lets loose the rust will build behind it . I always keep loose paint cleaned of . My old truck was completely gone rust wise but frame was still good.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
If you have another truck to drive and you get that one apart you might consider using POR15 on the frame it will help with your rust problem. Use gloves cause this stuff don't wash off and old clothes too. Here is a link.

http://www.stoprust.net/

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts