Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rust Stopping Ideas?

So i been thinking. I got some rust on the rear end about the end of the wheel well, and i want to stop it before it starts to spread. I heard it will start spreading all the way up the bed most Fords are good for doing that, but i know that wont happen for another 4-5 years.

I want to stop it now, i got an idea of sprayin it with clear coat then getting rhino lining in a can, or primering it and puttin diamond platting on it. Any other ideas?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
So i been thinking. I got some rust on the rear end about the end of the wheel well, and i want to stop it before it starts to spread. I heard it will start spreading all the way up the bed most Fords are good for doing that, but i know that wont happen for another 4-5 years.

I want to stop it now, i got an idea of sprayin it with clear coat then getting rhino lining in a can, or primering it and puttin diamond platting on it. Any other ideas?

only true way of stopping it on the bed sides is cutting out the affected area and laying a patch panel in. and primering and painting it...

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hi Bobby,

I found that Rustoleum brand paints work really well. You will have to do some sanding depending on how thick the rust is. I first coat it with a special silver protective enamel, then a coat of rust preventative gloss black (in your case white). Rustoleum has stopped my rust problems. They have not spread since the sand started being thrown all over the street this winter (I did the paint in the early fall). Theres a small rust hole on the drivers side rear bed panel that the Rustoluem sealed up quite nicely.

Hey great looking truck by the way!

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Glad to help Bobby! Let me know how it works out

Michigan
Dont use Herculiner from autozone. Or any bed liner material whether it be in a can or not.

It turns into a chalky grey color within a couple of months. And if you dont scuff the paint or any area you are going to apply it, it will not stick. Sticks great to your skin and takes a couple of weeks of scrubbing to get it off your skin but paint it takes a mater of a powerwasher at the local car wash to blow it off..

Id take it to any place local to you that does spray in bedliners. It is not as course and wont fade with the sunlight (If they use good material) most shops do. That should buy you a couple of years with the rust.

Por 15 or chassis saver is really good to sorta stop the spread.

This winter i never once drove my truck in the snow or salty roads. Truck has no rust on it which is rare for michigan and i know if i drive it a mile down a salty road its done for..

Ford Truck Articles