Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Runs cold always and forever...help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could also try pouring pure antifreeze, Pure antifreeze does not transfer heat aswell as pure water or 50/50 mix. That way you would run a little warmer.

although dangerous... try running with no, or little antifreeze and see if the gauge goes up

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I would bet money that pinching that hose will do NOTHING to help this guy's problem. Even if it were somehow bypassing the thermostat, that tiny little hose is not nearly big enough to circulate enough coolant to cool the entire engine. He'd just be wasting his time.

although dangerous... try running with no, or little antifreeze and see if the gauge goes up
The temp guage would go down. Pure water transfer heat better then anitfreeze.

I would bet money that pinching that hose will do NOTHING to help this guy's problem. Even if it were somehow bypassing the thermostat, that tiny little hose is not nearly big enough to circulate enough coolant to cool the entire engine. He'd just be wasting his time.

LOL ok unplug that hose and run the engine, See how long the engine will stay cool. thats a 5/16" line coming off the TB. Ive pulled it off numerious times on engines ive built and that little line transfers a good amount of coolant. (I pull it off when running because it purges air pockets out)

Another way to look at it, if you ever had a head gasket problem where the coolant is going into the cylinder, at a decent rate, you would deffently notice the engine running hotter, and if you were to measure the "hole" in the gasket, it would be paper thin and flow rate would be nothing compaired to what that 5/16" line flows from off the throttle body.

It wouldn't bypass the thermostat, the supply for that runs from the intake.
Well aware of that... But clearly this guy isn't...

Are you guys kidding me?? LOL. heres a picture to make you under stand.(from my old motor from 5 yrs ago) You can see here that I am in the process of bypassin my throttle body coolant and EGR delete blah blah.

Visualize the throttle body being there
setup.jpg

Red lines indicated the stock routing of the hoses that go to the throttle body, Take note as how it returns to the heater hose, Not the rad.
Purple line is how fordtoy is routed.
You can see that the throttle body gets it coolant from the yellow dot which is a piece of metal threaded into the intake, behind(<<key word) the thermostat(Green dot).

So what you have here is a controlled enviroment where no hot coolant is passed into the rad untill the thermostat opens. (Coolant flows from bottom rad hose to upper rad hose...Hot air rises, same pricible)

What fordtoy has is a uncontrolled enviroment where a hose is transfering warm fluid into the rad, never to be warmed up.

were not dealing with some super efficient direct injected air cooled motor here.

Basicly what im saying, is you may as well drill a 5/16" hole in the theromstat and ask it to do its job. HA.

Meh, ain't nothin but a thing Chris.....we were/are all there once.

Well instead of you two putting down my idea, Why not you guys PUT UP your idea??

Last edited:
Oh yea, And if you were to look up drilling holes in theromstats, the drill bit size hole is 1/8", you would put 2 if you were driving a drag car and wanted a cooler engine through out the day, 1 hole was consitered plenty for daily driver. not a 5/16 LOL.
I dont need a billion posts here to know what im talking about :)

Last edited:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Post count doesn't mean a thing..But you should actually TRY to understand what in the hell I just said. Did I or did I not, say that the supply line to the TB will not cause the water to bypass the thermostat because it runs from the INTAKE to the TB. YES, the 302 TB return line runs into the heater hose. I HAVE ONE. Yes, the 351W TB return line goes to the radiator....

If your vision is correct about the line causing bla bla bla...then why did Ford engineers run this setup on the 351W for YEARS?

BTW, I was trying to nicely tell Chris not to be a harsh about his POV, not back him and get your tights in a bunch.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
LOL ok unplug that hose and run the engine, See how long the engine will stay cool.
I've been running without that hose for over a year (because I was under the impression that it was needlessly heating my throttle body) and I have noticed NO different in warm up time.

Post count doesn't mean a thing..But you should actually TRY to understand what in the hell I just said. Did I or did I not, say that the supply line to the TB will not cause the water to bypass the thermostat because it runs from the INTAKE to the TB. YES, the 302 TB return line runs into the heater hose. I HAVE ONE. Yes, the 351W TB return line goes to the radiator....If your vision is correct about the line causing bla bla bla...then why did Ford engineers run this setup on the 351W for YEARS?
BTW, I was trying to nicely tell Chris not to be a harsh about his POV, not back him and get your tights in a bunch.

Your not getting the point at all.try this: Pull your lower intake off. You will see that coolant runs from both heads and connects together right behind the thermostat. In that connection point behind the thermostat on the roof of the intake is a hole, that hole will have a hose attached that runs to the throttle body. Am i right?

Lets say I were to drill and a hole right behind the thermostat( in the intake) and drill a hole right after the thermostat (intake neck) and shove a small piece of hose in both holes. That would be bypassing the thermostat. Yes or No?

Now would there be any difference if that hose was 5' long and ran thru a throttle body but each end still was shoved in the small holes previously drilled? would that have the same effect as the small hose?

My only guess to why that hose is there is because a 351 produces more hp. HP=heat. The more heat to get rid of. the more flow you need.

I've been running without that hose for over a year (because I was under the impression that it was needlessly heating my throttle body) and I have noticed NO different in warm up time.

I ment run the engine with it not connected to anything at all

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You mean disconnecting both lines to the throttle body? Even if that did make a difference, your first suggestion was only to vice grip the one hose... So it seems that you are contradicting yourself.

You mean disconnecting both lines to the throttle body? Even if that did make a difference, your first suggestion was only to vice grip the one hose... So it seems that you are contradicting yourself.

Oh my god.....

Leave it you to have such a hard time with something so simple, lol.

To dumb down what ive been saying:

That 5/16ID Hose off the throttle body that connects to the rad has the same effect on the engine as if you were to drill a 5/16" hole thru the thermostat.:headbang:
FWIW a thermostat with a hole that big in it will never function to bring the engine upto correct temp.

The vise grips method I said of pinching the hose that connects the TB to rad is just an easy way to block flow with out breaking a sweat. Or you could cut the hose, install 2 plugs into both ends. Your choice.

Now by blocking flow from that hose has the same effect on the engine if you were to take out that thermostat with the 5/16" hole, and replace it with one that doesnt.
You know, one of those ones that can do there job of controlling temp. Theres a reason why thermostats dont come with any extra holes... so they work right.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Leave it you to have such a hard time with something so simple, lol.

To dumb down what ive been saying:
Just who do you think you're talking to...? I assure you that I do not need anything to be "dumbed down."

I'm simply reading your posts at face value. You suggested that he put a vice grip on 1 of the 2 coolant lines going to the throttle body because it would help his engine get warm. I told you that I had already removed mine (for other reasons) and my engine does not warm up any faster. Then you back pedaled and said you have to disconnect everything in order for it to work after I debunked your theory with my own personal experience...

89PSD said:
Pinching the RUBBER part line shut with vice grips will stop flow from the engine to rad thru that hose.. That will make the thermostat do its job of letting the engine warm up.
Temporly pinching wont trap the coolant in the throttle body, it will still circulate-just not as well.

89PSD said:
LOL ok unplug that hose and run the engine, See how long the engine will stay cool.

Skandocious said:
I've been running without that hose for over a year and I have noticed no different in warm up time.

89PSD said:

Well sir the next time you try to fight an argument with someone who knows what there talking about, you should at least try to understand what there saying.

How could you be uncertian on something your so content on explaining. The hose is ither bypassing coolant or not. There is no inline valve or regulator, regulating flow thru that hose. Its ither has coolant flowing thru it or non at all. Its not like there is a airpocket in the middle and coolant just hangs out, theres 15-17psi of pressure pushing coolant thru the system.

That hose runs to the rad and enters right underneath the rad cap. It just pushes coolant through the throttle body to warm the air in colder weather.
No, you have it backwards. It does not heat the throttle body. It Cools it from the exhaust gasses that are used to warm the air in the upper intake/TB. What Is warmer in a cold startup. The Coolant or the exhaust gasses?.. Exhaust gasses, thats why its used to warm the TB/UI to help speed up the process of warming up the motor.
That does not make sence to use cold coolant to aid in speeding up the warmup process....

Just who do you think you're talking to...? I assure you that I do not need anything to be "dumbed down."
I'm simply reading your posts at face value. You suggested that he put a vice grip on 1 of the 2 coolant lines going to the throttle body because it would help his engine get warm. I told you that I had already removed mine (for other reasons) and my engine does not warm up any faster. Then you back pedaled and said you have to disconnect everything in order for it to work after I debunked your theory with my own personal experience...
LOL:hammer:

Your right, You dont need it "dumbed down" You need everything.
Your theory is all wrong. Read what I just wrote up above. And please if you are still attached to your theory, explain it well, I would love to hear your master theory on why Cold coolant is used to help warm up a cold motor. LOL
and thats great how you bypassed the TB coolant lines. But you are not the one having the heating up problems are you?
And If you were to get the overall picture and not have such severe tunnel vision on your uneducated opion you would know that the line in question could be attached almost anywhere on the engine. But in this case it is connected to the TB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts