Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Runs cold always and forever...help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im suspecting weird routing of those smaller rad hoses. I think they could be bypassing the thermostat, preventing the engine to warm up. which would explain why there is no pressure(heat).

Rad hoses are original, routing is original. 50/50 anti freeze

Another Update

OK, she has been out there idling for 1.5 hours.

Reaching in there at idle, I put my hand right in front of the t- stat housing. There was NO noticeable airflow. Don't think a frozen fan is the issue, especially when it turns freely by hand.

Put cardboard in front of rad. The highest temp at the stat housing after 1.5 hrs was 159 degrees. Tried 4 different stats.

Come on, whats going on here?

I DUNNO but on a quest to find some answers very similar to yours ...I ran mine today for an hr and went to open the drain for the overflow to let flush out and it wasnt even hot enuff to burn my hand. My temp gauge barely moves and didnt move at all till we replaced termostat today ...but have VERY hot air out heater ...This truck does not appear to be heating up AT ALL ...mine is a much differant animal then yours ...94 Ranger 2-3 4 cyl ..Did thermal test on mine and never got about 140 -150

I've had several "hot" cars and if you let them idle with the rad cap off they would soon boil over violently which is exactly opposite with this 351

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I DUNNO but on a quest to find some answers very similar to yours ...I ran mine today for an hr and went to open the drain for the overflow to let flush out and it wasnt even hot enuff to burn my hand. My temp gauge barely moves and didnt move at all till we replaced termostat today ...but have VERY hot air out heater ...This truck does not appear to be heating up AT ALL ...mine is a much differant animal then yours ...94 Ranger 2-3 4 cyl ..Did thermal test on mine and never got about 140 -150

If you have hot air out the heater vents I would say you have a bad sending unit to the heater. They go bad and are easy and cheap to replace. You should have 2 sending units one is for the computer the other for the gauge itself. The gauge one appears to be going bad.

If you have hot air out the heater vents I would say you have a bad sending unit to the heater. They go bad and are easy and cheap to replace. You should have 2 sending units one is for the computer the other for the gauge itself. The gauge one appears to be going bad.

But I don't have hot air, just warm. And I flushed the heater core and it flows clear.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
x2 on the antifreeze ratio.....Pull codes: www.fordfuelinjection.com and check your timing....factory is 10*BTDC with the spout connector removed. Your spout is mounted next to the dizzy.

249564_spout_connector_1.jpg

000_3429.jpg

Stat housing after 50 min. The highest reading I got after finding the hottest area was 143 degrees.

Obviously the 195 stat will not open at 140 degrees.

I noticed something weird. That coolant hose that comes off the top passenger side of the throttle body where does the other end go?... the picture isnt big enough to tell, it just runs ontop of the rad then out of picture.
Does it some how return to the rad? That could explain why your engine is never warming up... That tube is bypassing the thermostat and flowing back into the rad.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I noticed something weird. That coolant hose that comes off the top passenger side of the throttle body where does the other end go?... the picture isnt big enough to tell, it just runs ontop of the rad then out of picture.
Does it some how return to the rad? That could explain why your engine is never warming up... That tube is bypassing the thermostat and flowing back into the rad.
That hose runs to the rad and enters right underneath the rad cap. It just pushes coolant through the throttle body to warm the air in colder weather.

That hose runs to the rad and enters right underneath the rad cap. It just pushes coolant through the throttle body to warm the air in colder weather.

Atchually its to cool the throttlebody to keep it from cracking because of the EGR exhaust gasses that run thru it.The exhuast gasses are the things that warms the air.

On all the stock setups ive seen both coolant lines off the throttle body enter and return from different ports on the lower intake. If that hose is in fact connected to the rad, you wouldnt have any use for the thermostat to regulate coolant tempture from the engine.
Thats what my guess is.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
It is, in fact, hooked to the radiator..like every other 351W I've seen. You'd think it'd take some extreme temperature difference to crack that thick aluminum of the TB. I was always under the assumption (and being told so) that the purpose of that hose is to warm the butterflies and keep them from sticking in the cold weather.

It is, in fact, hooked to the radiator..like every other 351W I've seen.

well ive only seen 5.0s from trucks and mustangs. Wouldnt it make more sence if the return line from the TB ran back to the motor not the rad????

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
IDK, I thought the same thing though as I put a 351W 4 core in my 302 Flareside....It plugs into a nipple that comes out just below the one for the coolant reservoir.

Hey fordtoy91 clamp some vise grips on the hose were talking about to pinch it shut. Then run the motor for a bit and shoot the temps.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That is a factory hose... It's not a flawed design. I believe it is the return line for the coolant because it's fairly high on the neck of the rad spout.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I don't see what vise-gripping will do to help anything. The supply for the throttlebody is a dedicated line....it goes to nothing else.

That is a factory hose... It's not a flawed design. I believe it is the return line for the coolant because it's fairly high on the neck of the rad spout.

I don't see what vise-gripping will do to help anything. The supply for the throttlebody is a dedicated line....it goes to nothing else.

Ok well whats your guys idea on why the motor isnt warming up?

Pinching the RUBBER part line shut with vice grips will stop flow from the engine to rad thru that hose.. That will make the thermostat do its job of letting the engine warm up.
Temporly pinching wont trap the coolant in the throttle body, it will still circulate-just not as well. (You can breath at an end of a tunnel right) Its an easy way to plug the hose without atchually cutting and installing plugs.Then you can take the vice grips off and the hose still works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles