Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Roller cam? Flat Tappet?

1990 F350 extended cab dually. 7.5l. Manual trans.
Can anyone tell me if it is a flat tappet or roller cam motor? Or tell me how to find out?

im betting its a flat tappet. they only certian way is to pull the intake off and take a look. or another way is you can hear flat tappets moving alot more then rollers under light load... go down a hill at normal speed, let off the throttle and bearly give it any gas. and listen hard to the engine. I cant really expain the sound... it would be like a light fast tapping noise.
but im 90% certian its flat tappet. i know 5.0/5.8s in trucks were flat tappet in 1990, so im betting the 460 is too

if you end up pulling the lower intake and looking into the valley to check.
for a flat tappit motor you will see just push rods and tappits, nothing else in there.
if you see more then that in there, like a girdle holding guide plates which keep the roller tappits from twisting when they go up and down. then you got a roller motor, and also a the tappit has a roller tip on it. thats the difference.

Hyd. flat tappet.

The 385 series engines were never available with a roller lifter from the factory, and roller conversions are pricey.

Ford Truck Articles