Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Replacing a vacuum advance control

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
How difficult is replacing the vacuum advance control? Would I need
to check my timing afterwards?

My nephew seems to think my carb issue is timing-related. Couldn't hurt to check I don't guess.

He also mentioned that the diaphragm in my vacuum advance control canister could be shot.

Before doing the above I am going to take the carb off and check the float level. Also, I have been reading a lot about the accelerator pump. I know I replaced the pump cup with the new one in the rebuild kit. What should I be checking for when troubleshooting the pump?

Thanks guys!!!
Steven

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I think you can just take the rotor out of the distributor, unscrew the vacuum advance and replace it. no re-timing needed.

Just for those of us (me) who are dumb, what are you working on?

The accelerator pump on most all ford carburators is crap... generally if it is bad, a visual inspection will reveal pinholes worn in the diaphragm...

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
I think you can just take the rotor out of the distributor, unscrew the vacuum advance and replace it. no re-timing needed.

Just for those of us (me) who are dumb, what are you working on?

The accelerator pump on most all ford carburators is crap... generally if it is bad, a visual inspection will reveal pinholes worn in the diaphragm...

Working on a 66 Mustang coupe 200ci. Rebuilt the carburetor (Holley 1940 1bbl) and am having terrible acceleration issues...

** Update **
Super,
I have a Pertronix electric ignition. If i'm not mistaken, the rotor is removed when these are installed, right?

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
The rotor stays even after installing a petronix.

Have you verified that the advance isn't working?

1. With engine running pull vacuum line from advance and see if you feel hose sucking on your finger when you rev up engine. This will verify that line is working correctly.

2. With distributor cap off (and engine not running obviously) make sure the advance moves by using a vacuum pump to apply vacuum and see if the lever moves. If you do not have a vacuum pump you can take a piece of vacuum line and connect to the advance and suck on it to see if it moves.

Hope that helps. No reason to spend money if it is working properly.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
The rotor stays even after installing a petronix.

Have you verified that the advance isn't working?

1. With engine running pull vacuum line from advance and see if you feel hose sucking on your finger when you rev up engine. This will verify that line is working correctly.

2. With distributor cap off (and engine not running obviously) make sure the advance moves by using a vacuum pump to apply vacuum and see if the lever moves. If you do not have a vacuum pump you can take a piece of vacuum line and connect to the advance and suck on it to see if it moves.

Hope that helps. No reason to spend money if it is working properly.
Thanks for the help Sean.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts