Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

removing tailgate hardware

hey folks, just did a quick search, and did not find the specific info I'm looking for: need to remove the tailgate and all the hardware on my '93 full-size, (got a line on a new-used topper, has the ambulance style door, so no more tailgate, and fyi, the tailgate is part of trade, sorry folks), anyway, just curious if anyone could tell me what size torks or torqs head I need for this task? tried a t-30, too small, gonna head back to parts store tomorrow with the truck, but trying to get ahead the game... thanks!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I've actually never removed the hardware using a torx bit. Take the taillight out and there should be a nut on the other side (don't quote me)... Use a pair of vice grips or something of the like to hold the visible side while getting at the possible nut inside.

Chris: the latching pegs impede full seating of the rear of that cover.

smiliewhathesaid

thanks Austin, I'll look into that, pretty sure the guy I'm getting this thing from knows the deal, but I don't want to totally rely on him. Free topper costs starting to add up, lol.

yo, just to follow up, picked up a T50 bit for 1/4" drive socket, there's three pieces of hardware on each side that need to be removed. spent about ten bucks at Napa. thanks for all the replies.

Ford Truck Articles