Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Removing gas tank?

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Well Im kinda in a little pinch here lol. My rear gas tank has a SMALL hole in it so it needs to be replaced. BUT now the straps that hold the front tank in are starting to give way because there so rusty. So what i was wondering is if i could just replace my rear tank, and just take my front right out (not like i need any more than 25 gallons, especially with gas prices!) Has anyone done this before?? Im just afrade the way the fuel lines are configured that it would be alot of work.....

i just replaced the rear here and here

after i got it out, i realized the hole was very repair-able. i patched mine and am going to sell it if you're interested (even $30 +shipping)

i'm not sure you could take the front one out. when my back one was out, i moved the truck in the driveway running on the front tank. turns out one of the lines going to the rear sending unit was dumping fuel out of the front tank i guess. again, i'm not sure how the lines are run, but i don't think you can drop the tank and call it done

Storm

I'll need to look at the diagram for fuel systems on the dual tank. If my memory serves me right you will need to block the rear tank fuel lines and disconnect the sending unit. Whether this pulls an issue I'm not sure of, shouldn't. Course if you try to switch to the rear tank you'll just suck air into the injectors. So you'd need to be sure you never flip that switch to rear.

Other than that it should be possible. Should be a switching system that changes the fuel lines and a fuel pickup for each tank.

Storm

he needs to replace the rear, but wants to permanently disconnect the front, not the back

Well flip what I just said LOL.

The fuel lines should go to a switching station that moves between front/rear.

It's been way to long since I last saw a dual tank Ford setup. I'm only speculating here.

The only way to block off the front is to cut both fuel tubes off the front pumps FDM, squeeze the ends together and solder them.
Then just snap them back into the fuel lines and tie up the ends.

FuelSystem.jpg

Both the supply and return lines have a "T" like this.
TheT95Ret.jpg

/

Last edited:

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
ya so im still kinda confused? lol but another thing i forgot to menchin is that there is that line that runs form the TB into that black box on the front framerail and then from there is goes all the way back to the front tank?? What is that?

That is the Evaporative Emission System.
You will just have to get a straight plastic splice to splice the rear tanks line on to front line going to the charcoal canister.
Fuel vapors trapped in the sealed fuel tank are vented through the orificed vapor valve assembly in the top of the tank. The vapors leave the valve assembly through a single vapor line and continue to the carbon canister (located in the engine compartment or along the frame rail) for storage until they are purged to the engine for burning.

FrontTank.jpg

/

Last edited:

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
So basically this can be done? Even if i have to fab some stuff up.... I really dont want the front tanks anyways just takes up room and i will NEVER need more than 25 gallons!

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
That is the Evaporative Emission System.
You will just have to get a straight plastic splice to splice the rear tanks line on to front line going to the charcoal canister.
Fuel vapors trapped in the sealed fuel tank are vented through the orificed vapor valve assembly in the top of the tank. The vapors leave the valve assembly through a single vapor line and continue to the carbon canister (located in the engine compartment or along the frame rail) for storage until they are purged to the engine for burning.

FrontTank.jpg

/

Do i HAVE TO have this or can i just completly get rid of it??

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts