Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Red's plans/progress/upgrades

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I have another nice long winded thread for you guys. I have another dentside I'm getting road worthy...so enjoy it. Back story...Red has been sitting for about 2.5 years now, primarily due to a shot power assist steering system. Joining the big boy world also didn't afford too much time to work on her. The only movement she was about once a month, in and out of the car port, up and down the driveway. So as I finish up the Bronco, I'm in the planning stages for getting Red DD worthy.

-Obvious...replace the Boggers...those are coming...37x13x16.5 Boggers sting the wallet though.

-Replace the control valve, power cylinder and hoses for the power assist system. That was another shock to the system.

-I know the carb needs work...I can get a good 3 ft stream of gas out of the base plate. I'll probably just replace it. Not sure if I'll go Quickfuel, or grab a 670 truck avenger from Holley...and I'd swap the Bronco's carb to Red, and give the Bronco the Truck Avenger.

-The great Christmas Decorations through the ceiling episode, left me needing a tailgate for Red. I found and posted an OEM unit a few days ago...it just needs paint and it'll be good to go.

-As far as the engine is concerned...anything that has a seal or gasket...I'll replace it.

-Beyond that...if it starts leaking or breaks, I'll replace it.

-I also want to spice up the interior. I want to mimic the patterns on this:
image86.jpg

I'm not a fan of red interiors, but I don't mind red accents. SO I figured I'd go black where he's red and red where he's white on the seat. I have black door panels, that I'll do red inserts on. My dash is red with a black dash pad. Carpet is black. Headliner is a red lariat liner.

Beyond that...I think Red will be good to go. Would like to have her back on the road before Thanksgiving and Christmas parades start.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
On the interior – I agree, I'm not a big fan of red. The white accents would really set it off and make it look good, though. I like the seat in the pic you have. Is that a Lariat seat pattern? They almost look like buckets and that console goes to the floor – but I can see the back of the seat. Is the console just sitting on it?

When I had my seat redone I had it done in green, except for the strip down the middle where the center passenger would ride –that I had done in white for an accent to match the outside tu-tone. Simple, and I love how it looks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Yeah...the guy said the console was a dealer option he picked up in the 80's and it just sits on the bench. That is a lariat seat pattern.

The difficulty I'm having with the interior on red is tying it all together. The exterior is red/white and the interior is red/black. I think with all the other black on the interior, introducing white would be weird. And I don't want to use white/black on the seat because that just doesn't fit at all. And I don't want to use red as a primariy color (although I think red white does look awesome) because too much red just looks cheesey and tacky to me.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I like one solid color in these trucks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Tailgate that is going to be used...
image75.jpg

I've decided to go red/white/red with the aluminum Ford panel on it.

Are you going to have to do anything to your windshield ?
I got S/S windshield trim and gasket for a pre 77 truck . The trim looks better than the 78 & 79 ws trim. The installer broke the first ws trying to install it .

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I don't have trim...but would entertain putting it on if the deal were good enough.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Red's new tailgate strapped in to the hot rod Lincoln. Very very pleased...all it needs is to be stripped and painted.

image92.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool Ben..I think I would have lost it if something collapsed and fell on truck!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I wasn't happy...but stuff happens. If it was more than the tailgate I would have gone ballistic. But truth be told, I was never entirely happy with the DC piece...it was definitely better than the LMC piece I have...but you could still tell the difference in sheetmetal from a Ford piece. But I figure $125 for this gate and another 750ish in paint and labor and I'll be good to go.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If I recall reading the DC catalog...the tailgates were made offshore and lighter...so like you said, you are well ahead.

Hey..it could have been worse...you could have driven over your own dash like a certain idiot I know :D

If I recall reading the DC catalog...the tailgates were made offshore and lighter...so like you said, you are well ahead.

Hey..it could have been worse...you could have driven over your own dash like a certain idiot I know :D

Thats one f those things that makes you want to quit for the day before it gets worse.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Must have been a trick getting that tailgate in there. The grill shell and the box it was in was longer than the tailgate.

Passenger seat pulled all the way up and it fit...pretty tight, but it fit. The bed rails were worse...one was resting on the armrest on the front door panel and the other was resting on the console.

Yeah...I think that's right...back when red got redone (10 years) there were a lot more quality issues. I believe they do a lot more state side and have a lot more Ford tooling. Certainly a lot more Ford certification.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the tailgates are still offshore, but I could be wrong.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You're probably right...I haven't looked in a while.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Brief update here. I got a new set of Boggers that are on her now. I got a Holley 670 TA carb that's going to go on the Bronco, so I'll just take the 650 Street Avenger on the Bronco and put it on Red. I have a NIB Eddy performer intake that's been following me around for a while, that I'll toss on while I'm at it. And then I can get the street master that's on it drilled for fuel rails. I got the original power assist stuff off yesterday to send to RedHead, and I'll get new bushings and hoses from Stangersite. Beyond that, getting pretty stoked to be driving her again.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles