Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rebuild kit?

For a spring project I'm converting my engine to a 390 or rebuilding an old 390.
Any good, cheap major rebuild kits? Or one with lifters cam pistons and rods? I have a crank already.

I don't want to bore it or anything if my block is past useable bore ill go grab a different one

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I don't want to bore it or anything if my block is past useable bore ill go grab a different one

The only extra cost in a bored block is the actual cost to bore.. Rebuild is gonna cost pretty much same..

Also when you bore the cyl it makes true and round again.. If you just hone it it'll be kinda oval and eventually start smoking cause rings aren't contacting cyl wall as well..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I used to be against any machine work... Just find a block that's good enough and rebuild it... But Chris is right... If you can, having one bored out a little (.010 or something) will last longer.

84-6.9L

Under Funded
Even if the block is close to std with round cylinders keep in mind putting std pistons back in could still result in too large of piston to bore clearances, the bad part being piston slap when cold. Its best to figure out what your block needs order the kit then send the pistons to the machine shop so they can correctly bore the block. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO BORE WITHOUT THE PISTONS, if they want to get another shop, different manufacturers have slightly different tolerances and with pistons in hand they can bore match the pistons and cylinders.

I know I went through it with my bike wanted to throw it together to sell it but compression wa 50 pounds low and now is like 80 low after 20 hours because I didn't get it resleeved or anything

I can pick up an engine and tranny for 150 sell the tranny tear down the engine and have it machined if needed

A professionally rebuilt engine is 1800 with 300$ core. Most rebuild kits I see will run me 600-800 plus all my time and parts cleaner plus I'd want a engine stand

Ford Truck Articles