Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear window down, access to motor

A friend has a 96 Bronco, the rear window is down and he has no access to the motor or regulator. Is there a way to get that window up to get at the motor/regulator assembly to remove and replace?

My book said manualy close the latches (1990) and the window should go up,
no luck?

Yes, the manual is right. Fully close BOTH halves of the driver side tailgate latch. (To be fully closed the two cams must form a circle as you look at the latch from the side). This is where the stroker bolt would be with the gate closed. There is an interlock switch built into the latch that prevents the tailgate glass from being raised if the gate is not fully closed. (The glass is pricey to replace so having it is a good idea). Once the latch is fully closed, you can raise the glass from either the keyswitch or the dashboard switch. USE EXTREME CAUTION when running the glass up with the gate open. Support it carefully once it is fully up because its own weight can snap it. Once the glass is up, you can access the tailgate internals by removing the inspection cover on the inside of the gate.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It may not be applicable on a 96, but on my 79...I just reach my hand up in side with the appropriate ratcheting box end wrench and take the bolts out, then carefully slide the glass out.

On the newer models the glass is blind riveted in place and if the glass has the defrost grid, there are a pair of quick connect terminals (one at each end) that lock onto the spade terminals soldered to the grid.

89 window

I need to open the rear window of my 89 bronco to remove old window tinting. has anyone found an easy way to remove this aftermarket window tinting?

its a tedious and time-consuming process from everything I've heard. Only dealt with the adhesive sheeting on one back window and had to replace the glass anyway since the tinting overheated the defrost grid and rendered it useless.

Ford Truck Articles