Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rear end ratio ??s

good day people has any one ever compiled a list of the tooth count for the ring gears on ford 9" or dana 60/70 rear axels? I bought a f150 s/c parts truck last weekend ,the center carrier was swapped out and the door vin plate was missing so I really have no idea what ratio it is for sure. but if I had an idea how many teeth/ratio I would pull it and see.
thanks for your help regards

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ring gear tooth count divided by pinion tooth count will give you the ratio. There are listings in the shop manuals and MPC, but just the ratios themselves, I haven't seen individual tooth count. The ratios spanned anywhere from 2.72 to 4.88 for the era. But that's every configuration from 2wd to 4wd to cab/chassis to half ton to 3/4 ton to one ton, etc...

If you pull it and look on the outside edge of the ring gear it is stamped with a couple of numbers and as UTFball68 stated you divide one into the other and that is your ratio.I can snap a couple of pictures to show you if that would help.....

A quick way to "guesstimate" your axle ratio is to jack rear tires off the ground. Put tranny in neutral. Make mark on tire near ground. Count number of times driveshaft spins for ONE tire rotation. Good luck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts