Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rear brake weirdness...

rambler

New Shoes......
ok, so my "grocery getter" truck, the one I have to ask to borrow from the wife when I want to do some work.. lol. the F250 started squeaking in back end.. I knew it was brakes, but hoped it would wait til the weekend or maybe warmer.. no go.

she pulled in last night and said there was a clunk and then no brakes.
so pulled the rear wheels. .. wow. left side. NO inner brake pad.. and looks like I caught it just in time as the pistons were going into the rotor.. ( and boy was it thin on that side ! ) BTW that took a 12 mm socket to remove and had a nice shield around it.. well, got it fixed, with new rotor and pads, kept the caliper as looked ok..

so next side. right side.. well first no shield or anything. and what..? 14mm socket to take it out.. rotor looks great ! and so do the pads... all I can think is someone replace the right side before? and didnt do both? which one is OEM 12 mm or 14 mm lol.. or are they all built that way? :(

oh and got it done outside as my shop was full, and of course 20 degrees today, but at least it wasnt raining or snowing.. and I got to drive my truck again !

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm glad you got it fixed. Less than a year ago I wore through an entire pad as well on my 2005 F150! It made the most awful noise.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles