Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rapid Loss of Oil

As of late my truck has been usin a ton of oil. There's no leaks of any kind.What should I be looking for or do?

Sounds like your gonna need a rebuild soon, IIRC generally burning oil is due to bad piston rings but I'm no mechanic. The good thing is a rebuild on a 460 is nothing compared to say a modular or a 6.0.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
sometimes the burning of oil is so minute that you dont notice it until you stomp on the gas..

my dads 95 F150 w/302, 135k miles is burning oil and when he stomps it i gives a good blow of black smoke looks kind like a diesel... haha

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Chris, Kinda the same issue with mine. It doesn't smoke that I know of, but when I stomp it, I can smell oil burning.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
If your burning oil your plugs should show some build up or funky coloring.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Give us a little more info, does it smoke? How hard does it smoke? Just on start up? Or all the time? Could be something as simple as valve seals or some other gasket or seal on up to needing a bottom end rebuild. Also check the block for any witness marks.

She smokes but only on start up and it's not a really noticable.But you can defnately smell it sometimes.Me and my dad were lookin at gettin another 460 from a friend of his.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
She smokes but only on start up and it's not a really noticable.But you can defnately smell it sometimes.Me and my dad were lookin at gettin another 460 from a friend of his.

Typically, that's a valve seal issue...but rarely does it result in a rapid loss of oil.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts