Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ranger Rules 1953

smilieFordlogo
Well what can I say I am about to lose my 2004 ranger to the bank due to a divorce. I was looking and found and old beater 1987 Ranger XLT with 2.9
V6/ seems to run good, but the owner says he can park it one time and it will not restart. He says he has replaced tank fuel pump and rail fuel pump. Not starting is very hit and miss; may run great for a week and then not start, it may start the next day, or not, but if left alone it will restart. I am hopeing for some ideas to start on. Any other questions, or ideas would be a big help.

Pics? And good luck, Sorry to hear about your divorce...My parents almost got one. smiliecrybaby , Welcome!

Welcome aboard. I drove my 89 ranger (2.9) for 16 years. My brother has it now.

As far as the starting issue, it is really hard to even guess with 3rd hand information. You don't have it in your possession yet do you? First hand knowledge might be helpful, if you end up with it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
smilieFordlogo
Well what can I say I am about to lose my 2004 ranger to the bank due to a divorce. I was looking and found and old beater 1987 Ranger XLT with 2.9
V6/ seems to run good, but the owner says he can park it one time and it will not restart. He says he has replaced tank fuel pump and rail fuel pump. Not starting is very hit and miss; may run great for a week and then not start, it may start the next day, or not, but if left alone it will restart. I am hopeing for some ideas to start on. Any other questions, or ideas would be a big help.
At this point, its just diagnostics. You might have a fuel pump relay sticking, a pcm power relay sticking, loose connection somewhere, intermittently operating inertia switch, or any number of problems. Intermittent no starts are the worst.

Ford Truck Articles