Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ranger replacement?

Haven't heard much since they killed off their long running product line, and haven't heard any talk of the "world Ranger/T6" in awhile... Figured I'd post and see what kind of arguments I can start, lol. No, seriously, I've been thinking of replacing my trusty old 2wd for something AWD, something that you can still get with a manual, which means not a Ford. It hurts me to say this. Anyway, before I commit this onerious offence, has anyone heard any rumblings about what will replace the Ranger? Did a few searches and come up with nothing, there has to be something on the horizon to fill the hole in the line-up, and I'm not talking about the Trasit Connect monstosity.

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Rumor was the global ranger was coming but last I heard it wasn't.
I guess I'll just keep patching my old rangers til another compact truck comes along.

I can't stand the Colorado because it is a GM product but it's really the only small truck out there.

If enough people put pressure on Ford to bring back the Ranger it might just happen especially the new 3.2 5 cylinder - i'm sure you guys would love it.

All the guy's who have one that i've spoken to out here love them and some have even converted from the hilux which has been NZ's best selling ute for nearly 30 years.
The new rangers are streets ahead of the previous series in every way.

The article below shows Ford Ranger winning the 2013 international light truck of the year.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU12...ger-wins-international-pick-up-award-2013.htm

I looked up the global Ranger last night, and yeah, it almost makes me want to leave the country to go get one... there's a 2.2 diesel I read about, gets like 30 mpg U.S., sigh.
And I do like all the interceptor package's, I think out here they have Expeditions, but not exactly what I'm looking for...

My criteria: less than $25k new, more than 25 mpg, manual trans. preferred, AWD or 4wd. Talked myself out of going to test drive some Subaru's, for now.

I can't stand the Colorado because it is a GM product but it's really the only small truck out there.

Got a 'rado at work, I don't like it, but it's honestly not a bad vehicle after you get used to it :suspicious:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I couldn't get used to it.
I have a deep down hatred of GM products from owning a few years ago and having then constantly breaking down. Everything Chevy produced if I drive it it broke
My father in law had Chevy trucks he could drive them forever with out a problem. drive his truck less than a mile it breaks down . Friends had Chevy trucks every time I drive them something broke. My fords seldom ever breakdown and when they do normally out is because I was doing something stupid.
I had a Chevelle worked on it constantly stuff broke that never breaks.

Rumor was the global ranger was coming but last I heard it wasn't.
I guess I'll just keep patching my old rangers til another compact truck comes along.

I dont understand why chevy put a 5 cyl engine in it....makes no.sence

neither do i as it's a great truck and it is available in LHD too ....... it'l be some political reason i suppose.
Here is a link to a Thai dealer who has a really detailed list of specs for them.

http://www.thailand4x4.com/2012-ford-ranger.html

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The Ranger killed itself due to sales, it wasn't Ford being arbitrary or anything. With the fuel mileage the v6 F150's were getting, the ranger didn't have much of a market anymore. Very very few people 'prefer' a manual anymore, so that has been phased out as well.

If they did a ground-up new design for a compact truck, they might have a chance to revive it. It would have to be really designed around the goal to maximize fuel economy. Without that being the selling point, the F150 would still cannibalize its sales.

I think it would be awesome. I'd drive it. They could badge it an F-100 and bring back some classic styling.

Ryan

racsan

4xford
i think ford was trying to keep that "best selling truck" thing going that the F150 has had for so long, by killing off the ranger chassis, the F150 was the smallest ford fans could get now. i'll run my '93 into the ground, then hopefully find a good '97 i can keep on the road a long time, not a big fan of the '98 & up front suspention & 4wd front axle, call me "old-school", but i like my manual lockouts and twin-traction beam front end. really the price of rangers had gotton way high, i can recall a base 2wd being under $10 grand, a ranger like mine (biggest V6, supercab, 4x4) the last you could get one was over $25 grand. thats a hell of a lot for a compact truck. id think there would be a market for small, base-model 4 cyls, granted id want my V6, the 4 wouldnt do me in trailer towing, but if all i did was commute and get mulch every spring, id go for a base model 4 cyl manual with no power steering, esp if i could get one for 10-12 grand.

What I like about my Ranger is also what I don't like ironically. It's hammer reliable, 2wd, manual trans. 3.0, rubber floor mats, and roll up windows; no power mirrors, or TPMS crap. Bought it in '04 off the lot with 3k miles, for $14k and some change. Was saving up for a new F150 a couple years ago, wanted the basic short bed, reg. cab 4x4 XLT, V6, was gonna run me close to $30k, new. I owe less than that on my house, 6 months into owning it, lol. Guessing I'll keep paying the house off, and see what comes down the pike with Ford...

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles