Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ranger, no spark

Ok Ford folks, Ive got a toughie for ya. We have an 86 ford ranger 2.3L 4x4. It died on my son while driving. We thought it was the fuel pump and replaced it only to find that we had other problems. There was no spark, and no power to a working fuel pump. Ok, so from here, we tested the coil, icm, which tested ok. Also we replaced the ignition switch, EEC,EEC relay, and jumpered past the inertia switch. There is power at the coil when you turn on the switch, but no spark comes out. Here's the kicker, if I UNHOOK the EEC, spark comes back! still no power at the fuel pump though. very perplexing to this novice. if anyone has any ideas, I would sure like to hear them. Also, engine cranks over just fine. Thanks everyone, Mike. P.S. the timing belt is ok.

Last edited:
Hello Mike, welcome to FTF!

It cranks but no spark? I had an issue where 1 spark plug wire connector had broken in the spark plug "boot." The lack of that 1 plug not firing prevented the motor from firing any plugs. This seemed somewhat common when I searched google when I had this issue.

This was in my 93 ranger 2.3 5-speed with the 2 plugs per cylinder, not sure if you have the 8 plugs or not, but its an idea!

Ok gang, it gets better..... worse... no spark plug wire probs, If I remove the EEC relay and jumper wire it, I get spark and the fuel pump runs, but as soon as I put the ;RElay in, got nothing. I am on my second new relay, any Ideas?

power to the relay

Yes, there is power to the relay.and the ground is working too. I can jumper wire at the connector and get spark and fuel pump, but as soon as I plug in the relay, nothing. this is the second relay from napa that I have tried.

sidewinder

there is a wire that should activate the relay, telling it to turn on. If that wire is not powered up with switch on, track back in that direction. I think it is post 87 on most relays. Tom

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts