Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Random Stall

1995 f150 5.8L 250k

As I'm coming to a stop or rolling back into a parking spot (not on the gas), my truck will randomly stall. Starts right up with no issue.

CODES: 332 (insufficient EGR flow, troubleshooting this weekend) and 211 (PIP circuit failure, have had forever, can't solve) I don't think either of these are related.

I'm worried about the RPMs, I don't know what they should be at idle in drive, but it barely breaks 500. There's definitely an increase in RPMs when I put it in park.

Thoughts?

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
You've got EEC-IV. So with this in mind and after doing a visual under the hood for problems and fixing any obvious problems, clear DTC's and do a test drive to see if any reappear. If they do, then the FIRST DTC to fix is the lowest number KOEO DTC. Fix whatever items is/are causing it, clear DTC's, drive and see if any codes reappear. It is imperative that you fix DTC's beginning with the lowest number one and working your way up numerically within the three groups of DTC's, which are KOEO, KOER and CM. You must diagnose the cause and repair them in the sequence indicated because, one DTC can spawn off multiple other DTC's, and those *other* DTC's are not actually valid but rather, they are a consequence of the lowest number and family that has the valid code and problem. This is why it is very important to fix DTCs in the numeric and family sequence noted; never, ever skip around and go out of sequence, and failure to follow the correct sequence usually results in wasted time, money and frustration (and, unrepaired problems).

Once the vehicle has passed the visual test and the first correct DTC to work on has been identified, the Ford FSM (Factory Service Manual) has diagnostic flowcharts that are easy to follow and practically hold a persons hand, walking them through diagnosing the cause of the DTC, and the fix. Ford FSM's can be bought over on ebay in hard copy or on DVD. These manuals are worth their weight in goldand they are the only service manual to ever buy. This because, they are very comprehensive. With this in mind, I believe you now have a starting point. :)

Last edited:
I'll look into he manual but the 211 is CM and I've checked for arching etc along with replacing the dizzy twice and can't figure it out.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Does it pass a thorough and careful visual inspection under the hood, namely, items impacting emissions/engine management systems, and have any and all observed problems been fixed? For example, are all vacuum hoses routed OEM and are they ALL leak free and tight? Electrical connectors? Etc etc. This is always step one, never move on until this most basic step is performed.

Last edited:
Random stall is back. Then the engine cranks but won't turn over untill about the 6-10th time. CODE 211 is back. I don't have an LED test light but I have already done the following: replaced spark plugs, wires, dizzy (twice) cap and rotor. The wiring is heavily bundled and covered, the parts I can see look fine. It would still be cheaper to put in ignition coil and tfi module than have a shop diagnose. Either of these sound like a good culprit?

Ford Truck Articles