Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question Transmission C6

Fellro

Staff member
Help me a little here, are you wanting to go from a C6 to a 4 speed? If so, yes. You can also go for more and get a 5 speed in there. It is mostly a bolt in operation for the trans swap. I would have to go review the trucks here as to how much more it would be to add the clutch master to an automatic truck. You would need the trans, 4wd adapter, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, clutch/brake pedal assembly, and the clutch master/slave cylinder assembly.

Hi Fellro,

Yes, I would like to upgrade to 4-speed. A friend has let do that.
Is there a kit?

Fellro

Staff member
No kit needed, but it is best to get a parts truck, which I know are hard to come by there. They are all stock pieces to make the change. If the shipping wasn't so crazy, I have a complete parts truck with one in it. I am looking at upgrading to the 5 speed, which then would have two available. I wouldn't hold on for that though, as I doubt it gets done real soon.

I'm so sorry. I used the wrong words and so this question got misunderstood.

All I want to do is to convert my C6 3-speed-auto into a 4-speed-auto. Has anybody any ideas? Or has anybody done that before? What parts would I need for this operation? And is there some kind of kit available already? Just to have less pain in the bu** :)

All answers are very appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Greetings from the other side of the world.*:-h winken

Fellro

Staff member
I did answer a bit...
Parts needed Trans, bell housing, trans tunnel cover, adapter (factory) from trans to transfer case, flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, hydralic master cylinder and slave cylinder assembly, clutch and brake pedal assembly. Also recommended would be to get a reinforcement plate for the firewall. All parts are factory issued. There is no kit available for such a conversion.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I did answer a bit...
Parts needed Trans, bell housing, trans tunnel cover, adapter (factory) from trans to transfer case, flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, hydralic master cylinder and slave cylinder assembly, clutch and brake pedal assembly. Also recommended would be to get a reinforcement plate for the firewall. All parts are factory issued. There is no kit available for such a conversion.

that's for a Auto to manual conversion.. he's asking auto to auto..

gear vendors overdrive is only way I know of

Fellro

Staff member
Oops, got tunnel visioned with all the auto to manual threads I have dealt with lately. Yes, Gear Vendors, US Gear are the main ones I know about. The weaker link to it all is the torque converter though. The other option would be to go all the way to an E4OD and controller.

Thanks guys for the answers and sorry, that I'm late with continuing this thread, but I'm sick and I'm not really able to do anything. But ok, I can torture my computer again :)

Will a E4OD easily fit to a 6.9 IDI? Is there anything I need to take care of or have to fabricate any mounts etc.? How do I connect the mentioned controller? Right now I have the standard stock C6 3-speed-auto in my truck without any controller.

All I want is keeping the comfort of an automatic transmission and get a 4th gear for higher mpg. Right now Diesel is kinda pretty cheap, at least for our circumstances here and I can't complain. It's only about 7.50 USD per gallon. But that can change to the usual higher prieces any day.

All ideas are highly welcome.

Fellro

Staff member
If you get a diesel E4OD, it bolts right in. The controller is basically standalone (electronic). I will have to see if maybe I have that still in one of the parts trucks here. The trans was gone when I got the truck, but the rest may still be there.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts