Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

pre adjusting a new self adjusting clutch?

98 f150 4x4 4.6 5 speed.
Started puting her all back together today. New rear main seal, pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch. Referring the haynes manual for tork settings and its stating the the clutch needs to be pre adjusted before install. Wondering how important is this step? Done a little research and am getting you dont need to do it, or you have to do it. Any suggestions?

I think what that is referring to is aligning the disc with the tool that is usually included in a clutch kit. As long as you used the tool in the clutch kit to align the disc before torquing the pressure plate bolts down you are good.

No.
The pressure plate against the flywheel pressed with a hydraulic press...doesn't matter at this point. I went ahead and put the trans back in.

I had a few seconds at work today and found what the adjustment is. They want you to use a press and push the pressure plate teeth in untill they have no tension and then adjust the spring till they have no tension. Sorry it took me so long to look it up I was doing two big jobs back to back not much time to do anything. I wouldn't think that it would effect the operation of the clutch if it wasn't done. It looked like a complicated thing to do and the pictures AllData showed were horrible. I think it will be fine.

Ford Truck Articles