Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Steering Pump

I installed new seals in the steering box, everything went back together nicely, including all the ball bearings. I switched from the Saginaw Pump to the Ford Plastic pump as well. With the start up of my 460, I don't have power steering, I've turned it back and forth, engine running, engine off etc. Still nothing. Is there a different way to bleed the air out, or should I run to Napa and buy a new pump for $50.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well before you go buy a new pump...was the fluid foamy or anything? If so then you still have air in the system, and need to bleed again.

Typically, I lift the tires off the ground, turn the weel to full lock, then fill to the full line and leave the cap off. Then I slowly turn the wheel lock to lock and make sure the fluid level drops...if it doesn't drop initially, there is probably a big bubble in there...and continue turning until the fluid level drops. Then I continue doing this until the fluid level maintains it's level. Then top off the fluid.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Ben, that's pretty much what I had to do with mine also. After awhile power steering started to work fine and has since. I still have some very small leaks to my steering box, but for now it works fine. I wouldn't go out and buy a new pump quite yet.

Ditto on the same procedure. Air bound systems will make it feel like you have no P/S.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
i have a newer ps pump and only have ps when i turn right any idears

Ummm...might need a steering box screw adjustment. Notice any bent steering parts?

thanks for the help. I'll try it in tomorrow. I had my steering links disconnected. I'll have to lift the front end up now. I'll have to post some new pictures. It's looking pretty good. Exhaust was installed today. I'm installing a new master cylinder once I bleed it out tomorrow.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I installed new seals in the steering box, everything went back together nicely, including all the ball bearings. I switched from the Saginaw Pump to the Ford Plastic pump as well. With the start up of my 460, I don't have power steering, I've turned it back and forth, engine running, engine off etc. Still nothing. Is there a different way to bleed the air out, or should I run to Napa and buy a new pump for $50.

Just like whate everyone else said with bleeding the air out for the no power steering issue.

BUT, I'm wondering if you still have the saginaw bracket for that 460 and if you're interested in selling it?

Ford Truck Articles