Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Steering leak

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
On to the next problem!

I have a small leak in my 79 4x4 power steering (Ford type steering box). It APPEARS that the leak is coming from the pressure hose where it enters the steering box (I cleaned it up then started it, and the drips appear to be coming from this hose fitting). I removed the hose and took a look at it, the flare end has no obvious wear or dents. The brass fitting that holds it down also appears to be in good shape. I tightened it down to about 35 ft lbs and it still seems to be leaking. I'd estimate a drip every 4-5 seconds.

What confuses me is this: my factory manual shows a 'brass connector' or 'tube seat' which sits inside the steering box.

Question 1: Is there supposed to be an oring between the hose flare and this tube seat? Cause there's not one in there now! I didn't find one in the return line, either, cause I looked.

I'm kinda hoping its just, you know, the hose, or that I'm missing an oring. Next, I'm hoping I can replace this 'tube seat' without pulling the whole dang steering box (and how the heck would I do this?!). Otherwise I'll be looking at a rebuild ... :/

Replacement Edelmann pressure hose is about 20$

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have a small leak in my 79 4x4 power steering (Ford type steering box). It APPEARS that the leak is coming from the pressure hose where it enters the steering box (I cleaned it up then started it, and the drips appear to be coming from this hose fitting). I removed the hose and took a look at it, the flare end has no obvious wear or dents. The brass fitting that holds it down also appears to be in good shape. I tightened it down to about 35 ft lbs and it still seems to be leaking. I'd estimate a drip every 4-5 seconds.

What confuses me is this: my factory manual shows a 'brass connector' or 'tube seat' which sits inside the steering box.

Question 1: Is there supposed to be an oring between the hose flare and this tube seat? Yes, absolutely. Cause there's not one in there now!

I didn't find one in the return line, either, cause I looked.
There is none on the return line.
Ford changed the P/S pumps on everything in 1978 except Econolines, it has a plastic reservoir and dipstick..

The P/S pressure hoses used with these pumps have a straight tube where it attaches to the qwik dis-connect fitting...and an O-ring.

There are two possible O-rings:

388748S .. O-Ring / Use with 5/16" quick disconnect fitting / Obsolete

388749S .. O-Ring / Use with 3/8" quick disconnect fitting / Available from Ford.

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
BKW is my newest hero. Sir, I salute you!

Good news: after cleaning and retightening, no leakage is observed from the hose.

Bad news: the leak is actually coming from in front of the valve cover where the steering linkage attaches! It was running down the inch or two to the nearest low point, which was the return hose. Looks like I need new seals!!!! Dangit.

Which brings me to the next questions:

1) Is it possible or recommended to replace the input shaft seals while the box is still in the truck?

2) If I have to take off the steering box to rebuild the front seals (and hell, if its off I might as well do the rest of the rebuild too), the bolts that attach the box to the frame... do they have nuts on the back side, or is the frame threaded for the bolts with no nuts? I've heard these can be a bear to remove.

3) Whats the best way to detach the pitman arm from the output shaft?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Good news: after cleaning and retightening, no leakage is observed from the hose.

Bad news: the leak is actually coming from in front of the valve cover where the steering linkage attaches! It was running down the inch or two to the nearest low point, which was the return hose. Looks like I need new seals!!!!

1) Is it possible or recommended to replace the input shaft seals while the box is still in the truck?

2) If I have to take off the steering box to rebuild the front seals (and hell, if its off I might as well do the rest of the rebuild too), the bolts that attach the box to the frame... do they have nuts on the back side, or is the frame threaded for the bolts with no nuts? I've heard these can be a bear to remove.
Long bolts and nuts.

You need a Pitman Arm puller aka "pickle fork" that separates the two parts, can be rented from parts stores.
The P/S gearbox uses two seal kits, both are available from Ford and autoparts stores. Fit myriad 1965/2002 Passenger Cars, 1969/96 F100/350 2WD's & 1978/96: 4WD's & Bronco's.

D7AZ3E501B .. Sector Shaft Seal Kit

F3AZ3E502A .. Input Shaft Seal Kit

But...all these Ford integral P/S gearboxes have a built in flaw which causes them to begin leaking within a short time.

The so called rebuilt gearboxes (they are nothing more than resealed gearboxes) sold by autoparts stores and the two seals kits really don't solve anything.

redheadsteeringgears.com (located in Seattle WA) takes the gearbox, machines the housing, then installs the needle bearings that Ford left out...on purpose, so ppl would have to reseal the gearboxes over...and over again.

Suggest you go to their website, read all about it...then decide what you want to do.

Last edited:

Get or rent a puller from your local parts store. May take a few whacks with the BFH but it'll come off.

Ford Truck Articles