Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Post 351w Rebuild - First start

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
So for the guys that haven't been following my obnoxiously long thread about the 351w. It's been a couple years and several hundred posts, so this thread is for the guys looking for the "Cliffnotes" version.

I pulled my 351w, had the transmission rebuilt (look, I'm not a magician, okay?), and then I rebuilt my engine.

The major modifications were an EFI friendly camshaft, GT40 heads from a 1993 Cobra Mustang, and the Mass Air Flow conversion from a 1995 F150.

Here is the short video of the start up.

I'm going to let a professional with some experience on timing get it dialed in. I also need to swap on a new throttle position sensor.

Ryan

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I need the harness off of your perma cool fans.

Glad you got it (mostly) running good. smilieFordlogo

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
BTW, I'm pondering rebuilding my 351. You've got me thinking it's doable.

primetime

sawmill slave
The way the engine is shaking, it looks to me like the firing order isn`t right. I would double check your wires, cam card for the firing order, and what not.

Also, when you did your MAF swap, did you add or change wires, or modify anything? Might want to check that. My 460 did the same thing with a sefi computer in it. Swapped in a batch fire computer and it cleared right up. The paint not burning off of the center header tubes was my clue on that one.

By the way, congrats, looking good.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yes, I did extensive research on the mass air flow swap, and know far more than I ever cared to know about the computers and wiring on these trucks. The maf swap is complete. I guess I'll recheck the plug wires but i really think it's just a timing issue with periodic weak fires.

Ryan

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts