Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

popping when i turn

i have a 2004 f250 5.4l and every time i make a sharp turn the truck pops or jars (how ever you want to put it) i know i need to replace tie rod bushings on both sides if that even what they are called. could this be my problem or maybe something else?

blacksnapon

Staff member
i have a 2004 f250 5.4l and every time i make a sharp turn the truck pops or jars (how ever you want to put it) i know i need to replace tie rod bushings on both sides if that even what they are called. could this be my problem or maybe something else?
Check out your body mount bolts. Theres a thread I started in the 6.0 forum that shows pictures of the body mount bolt access holes. Its the "6.0 headgasket replacement" thread.

rambler

New Shoes......
Make sure if it's a 4x4 the front hubs are not locked.

This is probably what is causing it,, just found out last night my "auto" hubs really do not work, they never disengaged the front hubs from last winter...

took them out, and messed with them,, deciding now to either get manual hubs ( which the wife hates the idea ) or rebuild or buy new autos...

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I had a "pop" during turns in my Explorer...during an oil change noticed that one of the sway bar end links was busted. New end link, no pop.

okay i read some other posts and ppl are sayin they have switched to manual hubs... if i do this do i lose 4x4 high and low? and the plastic knobs are hard as hell to turn but i got them turned and the truck still jerked/bounced (how ever you want to put it) when i turned all the way to either side...and i dont know a thing about 4x4 so help would be great thanks guys (and which way should they turn to unlock?)

blacksnapon

Staff member
You'll still have 4x4 like you had before. The only difference is, you'll have to get out and lock in your hubs. The knob should turn counterclockwise to unlock.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
d-kuzmen how do you rebuild them...a guy told me to check them today...never crossed my mind

I have taken them apart and cleaned and lubed them just have to pop the snapring out of the back side and the guts come out (if I remember correctly) the rubber inside is what often hangs up preventing you from turning it. If you use a silicone spray on the rubber seal inside it will help. Don't use a oil product because this causes the seals to expand. There are also little tangs on the inside used in the vaccume hubs that get worn you can kind of bend them to get them to work again also.

Ford Truck Articles