Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Please help, Tank swap or fuel sending unit

I've done some research and read a ton of posts with great responses to questions. Pretty depressing and confusing when there's no quick fix. I gotta solve this problem fast if I have any hope to play in the snow this year. My rear sending unit and tank are gone, busted and leaking. I understand the dilemma with getting a sending unit (E5TZ9275C I believe) 1986 f250 ext cab 4x4 duel tank 351 non-EFI. Is it an unwanted complication to swap to gen 8. What about just grabbing an 86 Bronco tank/unit. I'm ok with it sticking down and needing custom plate/strapping. Please, I need the easiest fix.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That part number is available.

I ordered the sending unit from green auto (I think that's the name) in Ohio, just under $100. I guess it could be worse. I actually have a new tank that I bought 3 years ago so as soon as the sending unit gets here I'll get it in there. I live in Delaware so I have to hope for snow, snow's not real predictable here. I'm trying to imagine a blizzard coming, so, I'm in a mad rush to get my truck in good running (playing) condition. Last year we got a good storm and I ran out of gas. A fellow 4 wheeler pulled me to the gas station about 1500 ft away. He was in a Jeep, talk about embarrassing, I could've fit that thing in the bed of my truck. I'm not letting that happen again.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
Yeah I opted for the 38 gallon rear tank. That's why I've got the old one laying around. Of coarse now it'd cost me close to $200 to fill both tanks with fuel.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I've done some research and read a ton of posts with great responses to questions. Pretty depressing and confusing when there's no quick fix. I gotta solve this problem fast if I have any hope to play in the snow this year. My rear sending unit and tank are gone, busted and leaking. I understand the dilemma with getting a sending unit (E5TZ9275C I believe) 1986 fF50 ext cab 4x4 dual tank 351 non-EFI. Is it an unwanted complication to swap to gen 8. What about just grabbing an 86 Bronco tank/unit. I'm ok with it sticking down and needing custom plate/strapping. Please, I need the easiest fix.
Is the rear (aft axle) fuel tank plastic or steel?

DNFXDLI said:
That part number is available.
Not from FoMoCo it isn't. It's as obsolete as the dodo bird.

E5TZ9275C .. Fuel Tank Sending Unit / Use with 19 gallon aft axle fuel tank / Obsolete

Fits: 1985/86 F150/350 except w/460 engine / Last MSRP: $165.48 / Dealer net cost: $99.29.

There are 27 still available from Ford Dealers, 73 available from obsolete parts vendors.

GREEN SALES CO in Cincinnati OH has the largest stock: 54 = 800-543-4959.

Last edited:

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
There are 27 still available from Ford Dealers, 73 available from obsolete parts vendors.

GREEN SALES CO in Cincinnati OH has the largest stock: 54 = 800-543-4959 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************800-543-4959******end_of_the_skype_highlighting.[/QUOTE]

I have several sources up here in WA/ID with said part number available as nos parts sitting in storage, i just dont know if it would be worth the shipping for you?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is the rear (aft axle) fuel tank plastic or steel?

Not from FoMoCo it isn't. It's as obsolete as the dodo bird.

I never said from Ford did I? :D

Yeh, I checked all the ford places near me, then I started reading old posts, and found that green had a acceptable deal at about $95 plus shipping. But I'm still considering swapping up to a bigger tank, I have plenty of room, and extra steel to work.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I went from a 19 gallon rear to the 38. Still got a 19 front. Got the bigger tank from Rock Auto (rockauto.com) about $180 that includes shipping. Came with everything to modify the sending unit and to mount it.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I never said from Ford did I? :D
You said it was available...so, IMO, that would mean it was available from Ford.

It isn't. I typed the part number into the in-house FoMoCo Dealer Parts Locator System, it has no PDC status, so it's obsolete.

PDC = Parts Distribution (Depot) Center. If no FoMoCo parts depot aka parts warehouse has the parts, it's no longer available from FoMoCo.

The FoMoCo parts locator system shows that 27 are still available from FoMoCo Dealers. Another 73 are listed on the obsolete parts vendors website.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would have said from Ford if it was...all I have access to is the obsolete vendors website...what does "assume" break down into?...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
And I'm just teasing you Bill.

Ford Truck Articles